s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Water Tank Success & Sight Seeing! Wednesday, November 28, 2018

28 November 2018 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Australia
Helen/Mark
Watched the last episode of Viking in Season 1. Headed to bed after 10. The winds had settled. Mark left the aft cabin hatch open and it rained some overnight. After breakfast, he finished putting the water maker parts back on top of the new hot water tank. Success! He ran the engine for a while, too. No leaks! Then we drove to Trimax, where Mark was able to get a few parts for the Raymarine network aboard. Decided to check out Mount Coot-tha. We drove up to the top of the mountain and enjoyed a view of downtown Brisbane. The only problem was the dust storm had obstructed our view. It looked like there was a film over the city. There was a café there, and it was close enough to lunch time, so we had a bite to eat. Then drove down the mountain and saw signs to a JC Slaughter Falls. We started walking down the path and questioned a couple walking back to see if there was water flowing from the falls. We could only see a dry stream where we were walking. It was hot sweaty weather today. They confirmed that there was no water at the falls, so we headed back to the car. The trees and rocks were really beautiful. Our google maps sometimes gives us incorrect information. We took a wrong turn, and were told to basically go around the block. However, the road was steep going up and then equally steep going down the other side. This was a residential area. Got back on the correct highway and drove back to our local mall for some groceries. Then headed back to the boat. Mark wanted a nap. So, we both had a short rest. When we got up we changed to our swim suits as it was hot outside. We decided to check out the beaches on the other side of the port area in Morton Bay. We saw one of the biggest marinas. Hundreds of boats there. Most of that area had rocky shorelines and only one small very brown colored sandy beach. We walked out and took some pictures, but didn't get in the water. There were a couple of young guys with dogs, that were chasing each other on the beach. Drove further and got to see some interesting sites. Some beautiful two story houses, where the second story had a glassed in balcony. Gave up looking for beaches and headed back. We planned to head to the showers, but Mark wanted to walk down some of the other docks, as there were two new super big power boats. One named, Aurora, was 3 stories above the main deck. By this time the wind had picked up to 30+ gusts. The crew was blowing up some really big fenders. We spoke to Ross, who has a 45 foot ketch that he bought in Jacksonville and had shipped here. He invited us in. Thanks for your kind hospitality! Walked back to our boat and noticed that our neighbors were back in town. We had a short visit and headed back to the boat to pick up some meat that we bought, to bbq. Mark got to do the bbq'ing. Had a lovely meal up in the cruiser's palapa above our boat. Enjoyed a lovely time with Colin & Julie. At times the wind gusted so hard that the chairs and anything light was blown away. Mark had to chase down a few things. After a while the wind eased, only to return again. I cannot believe we can get such wicked winds. Our highest wind recorded was 36 knots. There were waves in our marina waters that splashed over to the docks. Our plan is take back our rental car tomorrow and check out of the marina. Unless this wind keeps up and then we will stay one more day! Thanks for your emails and messages! Great to hear from you!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015