s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Moved Another 10 Miles South! Sunday, December 2, 2018

02 December 2018 | Anchorage off Lamb Island, Queensland, Australia
Helen/Mark
After dinner, we watched the last two episodes of Vikings, that we had. Will have to catch up to Season 5, when we get back home. It was a good series. Headed to bed after 10 pm. The water had flattened out. Thankful that we moved into more protected waters for overnight. We both slept well. Up early and got out of bed before 6 am. Had breakfast. Decided to haul anchor and move south to a more protected area for the upcoming 30+ knot winds that are expected. Lots of islands here. We anchored off Lamb Island, but can see Macleay and Karragarra Islands. Mark did a search for restaurants. It looked like Macleay Island was best. We can see several ferry docks on the islands. Each of the ferry boats have gone by many times since we anchored. There is some good wake out of some of them. Mark launched the dinghy and we headed to Macleay ferry dock and tied up on the inside. Walked up to the ferry boat entrance and asked a lady if there were any restaurants around the island that are open today. She highly recommended the Bowls Club. She told us they have a free shuttle bus. Just then, the van arrived. Yes, they would take us to the Bowls Club. They picked up a few people along the way. The Bowls Club was private, but we were welcome. They printed out a pass that is good for a month. Enjoyed some great food for lunch. Mark had fish & chips while I had some chicken parm with veggies. Then they had a gaming room so we indulged. I won $21 and Mark won $10. That almost paid for our lunch out. We were able to get the van driver to take us back. Lots of homes on this island. Someone estimated 5000 people live on the island. Lots of the houses were raised with a breezeway under. Not sure if they flooded or if it's to combat the hot weather. Got a few groceries and walked down a large hill to the ferry dock where our dinghy was waiting for us. Dinghied back and stopped to chat with a couple on the boat anchored in front of us, Super Molly. Headed back to Charabia and helped Mark hoist the dinghy and motor into the davits. We were both sweating by the time we were done. We enjoyed a very hot shower today, despite adding cold water to the sun shower. The sun was definitely hot. Salon temperature was 86 degrees. The breeze is still cool. Decided to take a nap. I got a leg cramp, which was eased using arnica and drinking more water. Mark put in the way points into the gps for our next stop, 41 turns winding thru the gaps between the islands. Then our water pump made some noise. Mark checked the water tank and found a leak. He's been checking it and no issues over the past few days. Oh my. That will be tackled in the morning. We are expecting the winds to change to south-east, so that will mean the two huge forest fires on the islands, will be blowing smoke our way. It's almost 6 pm and we are hoping that the ferry boats are done for this day. The sky is quite the different shades of red tonight. There has been poor visibility all day with the fires. I posted pictures from today on Facebook. Please email me if you aren't seeing them. Thanks for the emails, messages and comments. We truly appreciate your news as we miss everyone so much!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015