s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Anchored amongst friends! Tuesday, December 4, 2018

04 December 2018 | South Starbroke Island, Queensland, Australia
Helen/Mark
Watched one more episode of The Americans, last night. Got to bed just after 9 pm. It was totally calm and peaceful. We both slept well. Up around 6. Had breakfast. Mark checked the weather, both engines and the water tank for leaks. All was well. Hauled anchor at 9:30 am. Had the advantage of the current and I added the jib sail as well. We arrived off South Starbroke Island by 10:30. Anchored in-between Florence & Mr. Micawber. Helped Mark launch the dinghy. Then headed to shore for a beach walk. I didn't know we were out for a jungle walk. Mark said he could have used a machete. We improvised with some walking sticks, especially to ward off the insect world, especially the spider webs. It looked like a path in the middle, but it kept going the length of the island and we were attempting to cross the island to the ocean side beach. We could hear the waves crashing into the opposite shore, so that is when we went cross country. We saw one wallaby. He was in a big hurry to get away from us and we didn't have time to take a picture before he was jumping out of sight. There were several steep, sandy hills to climb, but we eventually got to the other side. Thank goodness for the walking stick. The ocean waves were beautiful shades of green water splashing to shore. The beach was beautiful and pristine in both directions. Walked over a ton of sea shells as well as tiny rocks, of which I picked up a few. Took lots of pictures and posted them on Facebook when we got back to the boat. It ended up being a very long walk, so good exercise. It was hot out. I took a sweater, but didn't need it once we started walking. We could see the fires over South Moreton Island. Many helicopters and planes had a hand in dousing the fires today. Thankfully, we didn't smell any smoke at this anchorage. We stopped to say hi to Dave & Patsy. We were planning on inviting both boats for happy hour. They had already invited Florence, so they extended the invitation to us. So sweet! Once back onboard, we took a nice hot shower. The sun shower wasn't quite in the sun, but we now have hot water. The breeze was cool, but we were still both sweating from our walk. It was well after lunch, but we decided to have a short nap. Got up and had lunch. Then we started watching the movie, Thor. Will continue after we finish this blog. Packed up some things to take and headed over for happy hour! Matt & Amy joined us and with the full tide, they arrived, paddling their dinghy, at the same time we motored over! Had a lovely visit. So many sailing stories were shared. And lots more good advice for these Australian waters. We finally got some much needed rain! Hope that the fires are done! Thanks Dave & Patsy for your hospitality! It was almost 8 pm when we headed back to Charabia. Had a snack when we got back. Thanks so much for the emails, messages and comments. Our plan is to wait for some favorable weather although we may head to another anchorage along the way to the Gold Coast.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015