s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

A Walk to the Beach & a Rainy Day! Wednesday, December 5, 2018

05 December 2018 | South Stradbroke Island, just south of Tippler's Island, Queensland, Australia
Helen/Mark
Watched the end of the first Thor movie. Had seen it before, but didn't remember the ending. Got to bed after 10 pm. It rained more thru the night. The wind was howling too. Woke up early, but must have fell back to sleep as we didn't get up until 6:30. Quick breakfast and got decided to take advantage of the high tide to get a boost. Hauled anchor around 7 am and headed south to Tippler's Island area. Saw a dock on shore at the Southport Yacht Club and anchored close by. We were towing the dinghy this time. Decided to check it out and walk the beach. They had a lovely dock, but the Yacht Club was very private and non-friendly as it was for members only. Several No Trespassing signs. There was mention of trash cans, so we took a bag of trash. It took a while to actually find them, but they were on the trail heading to the beach. It was around 1/2 mile across the island. This is the same island, South Stradbroke, as yesterday, just a few miles further south. The walk was lovely, thru the forest, but happy to have a path to follow. I wore my running shoes, but Mark was in his flips. The path ended at a big hill of sand. As we climbed the sand dune, we could see many more ahead of us, towards the beach area. We could hear the crashing waves. The views were incredible. Didn't mind climbing the dunes, so maybe I am getting used to it. We had both worked up a sweat despite the stiff breeze at the ocean, called the Coral Sea. Mark stuck his feet in the water and said it was cold. I took my sweater as I was cold with the breeze, but the walking helped keep me warm. Took a bunch of pictures. What a beautiful place! No animal sightings along the way, other than some birds. Headed back over the dunes. I sat down and emptied my shoes. Then continued on the path the dock. Dinghied back to Charabia as it was early. Our plan was to take the dinghy further to the tiny Tippler's Passage village, but once we got back to the boat, the rains started. We must have gotten several inches of water as Mark had to bail out the dinghy. Took advantage of the rain to wash the brown dust off our boat. Also, cleaned our salon windows as they were caked with salt water spray. Watched the movie, Lincoln Lawyer, while it was raining. Entertaining and again, I didn't remember the ending. Had a late lunch and didn't do much this afternoon. Mark was reading the cruising guide book on the NSW coast. We have signed up with Telstra (the local cell phone provider) and are limited to 30 gigs of data per month on our current plan. We exceeded it and they charged us an additional $10 for 1 gig, which seems excessive. We have to remember not leave our devices on in the future. We are limiting our use for the next few days. It was an overcast day, until an hour or so ago when the sun made an appearance. We ran our water maker this morning. There is no one anchored close by us. We are nicely protected behind the island. Thanks for your emails and messages.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015