s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Arrived in the Gold Coast! Thursday, December 6, 2018

06 December 2018 | Marine Stadium Anchorage, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Helen/Mark
Watched the movie, The Good Night, which I did not like. Despite having many big stars, I would not recommend it. The wind continued to blow, but we were in a protected area. Nice and quiet and pretty much to ourselves. Slept well. Woke up early and hauled anchor around 6 am. Headed south on the channel, hoping to get a boost from the tide, and we did at the beginning. We motored past Tippler's Pass, where we recognized some of the boats anchored there. The winds were directly in our face with speeds up to 25 knots so we weren't making great speed. Had breakfast underway. We saw a beautiful rainbow off to the starboard, mainland side. Then we got a few drops of light rain with big winds pushing it our way. Finally decided to head off the channel and drop the hook. Waited over an hour to get more tide. Headed back in the channel and motored south. Passed by a marina where we were going to stop to top up our fuel, but decided against it as the wind was blowing so hard and there was already a boat at the fuel dock. Lots of boats out on the water. We noticed a couple of kite surfers moving very fast from one side of the channel to the other. Then we noticed one of the surfers was swimming with this board which disengaged from his kite. Was able to finally add the jib as we came into the channel and around to the marina. We saw a few Rally boats as we headed to the Marine Stadium anchorage. We dropped the hook just off the beach in an open spot. It looks like everything is close, but our range finder determined we are at least 120 feet from everyone, plus the beach. Launched the dinghy and headed to end of the anchorage. Mark remembered that we drove thru here with our rental car. There was one restaurant called, Pete's Seawalk Kiosk. Enjoyed burgers for lunch. Very tasty and a good price too. After lunch, we walked over to the Seawalk along the path on the edge of the channel. The beach had very fine sand and the wind was spraying it in our direction. It felt like we were getting sand blasted, so we didn't stay long. Lots of people on the beach. Many with their dogs, too! Walked thru the Federation Walk Coastal Reserve. It reminded me of our walks across South Stradbroke Island. Lots of birds but no roos! The walk out dock was still under construction, so we couldn't walk out to the channel. Walked back to the dinghy which we left tied to a tree branch. Headed back to the boat. Took a shower off the back steps, to get the sand and salt water off. Then enjoyed a short nap. Got up and I started reading the book, The Paris Seamstress. The sun was shining most of the afternoon. The breeze is still cool to me, so I tend to take my sweater when we head to shore. It's 82 degrees in the salon at this time. The sun is thinking about setting for the day. Thanks for your emails and messages. Our plans are to wait for some better weather to head offshore about 300 miles to Port Stephens. It may be Saturday or Sunday before that happens. We will head to a marina first to top up our fuel, unless we jerry jug before then. Still a number of people on the beach behind us and on the other side too. We did observe the Sea World Duck which is an amphibian vehicle, which was motoring thru our anchorage and then up a cement ramp on the other side!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015