s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Sailing South

09 December 2018 | Tasman Sea
Helen/Mark
This is the second time I am creating today's blog. I am not sure which touchy key removes my entire blog post. We watched a couple of episodes of Justified last night. Got to bed around 10 pm. It was rather peaceful for our last night at the Marine Stadium Anchorage. Slept well. Got up around 6 am. Had breakfast. Prepped the boat for leaving, knowing that we would be getting bounced in the channel and along our sail southwards. Hauled anchor around 8:30. There were many jet skis out on the water. Lots of people around the sandy shores of the anchorage. Some people in the water. That made me feel cold as I was wearing a sweater with the cold breeze. Cleared the anchorage and circled back to face the wind so Mark could hoist our mail sail. We motor/sailed out the channel. The waves were increasingly bigger. I am pretty sure I saw the occasional wave with a height of 10 feet. We had 18 miles going SE and into the winds. We put up a tiny piece of the jib and tacked back and forth around our rhumb line. Enjoyed the view of the Gold Coast skyline along our starboard side. We still have wifi connections so made a few calls. Had lunch along the way, although I didn't eat much as my stomach was acting up. My body was objecting to the constant bash of waves. Or maybe it was that I was reading and playing on my computer. Getting past Point Danger took us around 4 hours and then we turned South and shut down our motors. Our speed was increased by favorable current. We were sailing 8-9 knots. That lasted for a while. Then our wind decreased as did our speed. Mark went to start the water maker and noticed a water leak. He found a pin prick hole on the cold water hose, last time it was the hot water hose. Then we ran the water maker. We each took turns having a nap. Enjoyed a hot shower in the cockpit. Mark also noticed a leak in our sun shower, so that was also patched. It's a day for leaks. Why couldn't it happen when we were at the dock or at anchor? So, far all is well. We did pass by Byron Bay, which is in New South Wales. We have moved south into the next state. Decided to have an early dinner. The sun was making it's way to the horizon with some nice colors in the western sky, reflected to the the clouds all around us. Our speed picked up and we were again seeing 8-9 knots. Yeah! The seas are still around 6 feet high, but more spaced out. It is a little rocky. Thanks to all who sent us emails and messaged today! Great to hear from you. Mark said he saw a dolphin swimming by our boat. Lots of birds out here. The odd fishing trawler passed us. But mostly, it's been quiet. Enjoy the weekend!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015