s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

A Drive Down Memory Lane

16 December 2018 | Middle Harbour Sydney
Helen/Mark
The rains continued after sunset. Big gusty winds. Thankfully, all the boats are staying on their moorings. Started watching the first dvd on Corporations. It's a documentary that was recommended by Brett, who also works at our marina. It was getting late, so we didn't finish watching it. Headed to bed after 10 pm. Slept well. Slept in until after 7 am. Firstly, happy birthday to John!! Woke up to perfectly flat waters around our boat. Several boats headed out early this morning. There is a boat ramp on one end of this bay. Most of the boats going by were launched there. After breakfast, we decided to take our dinghy over to Trunks Park and tie it there. That meant I didn't have to climb a 100 steps up to the street above. Mark hailed an Uber Car Pool to pick us up and deliver us to the Budget location in Cammeray. We picked up one other passenger along the way. The driver was not quite sure where it was located. Budget was in a large office building with a nail salon on the street level. I decided it was time to get my nails done especially since there was no wait at all. I didn't think there was much open on Sundays, but I was wrong. After getting our car, we headed to Wahroonga first, which is a suburb of Sydney where Mark used to live. He found the house and we parked and got out. Mark said that someone enlarged the house and changed the exterior. We walked up to the house and the owner asked if we were lost. We said that Mark used to live here many years ago. Had a nice conversation with her. Walked up the path to his friends' house only to find that the house was no longer there, but the girls' school had expanded in its place. Stopped at the train station where Mark used to walk to. Had a lovely lunch on the main street. Then we drove two train stations down to Mark's school called Barker College. Lots of changes. They are no longer all-male. We drove to another house that Mark also lived in in Turramurra. Found the house and it looked the same, he said. We had planned to stop in Pittwater, prior to Sydney, as that was where Mark's dad kept his boat. The marina is part of the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. We drove around the park and the it's a proper marina located at Bobbin Head. We enjoyed stopping at the Kalkari Bush Discovery Track. Got some great exercise looking for koalas and roos, but didn't spot any. They had a lovely lookout down the hill that looked out on the water. It was a much hotter day today. They also had some aboriginal art carved on rocks. We were sweating after our long walk. By the time we drove back to Trunks Park, the wind had picked up. We were lucky to find a parking spot. Lots of people around. Mark had to squeeze our dinghy past several hard dinghies that were also tied up to the dock. There were small choppy waves in the marina waters, but we stayed dry. It rained very briefly once we were back on the boat. The wind gusts are around 26 knots and the sun is still shining. Since we have been here the highest wind gust was 32 knots. Thankfully, all the other boats are holding on their moorings. The breeze has definitely cooled off now. Thanks for the emails and messages. All are appreciated. Tomorrow will be boat stores to replace the cold water hose, and a few other things. We have a suggestion for a sail loft to re-stitch our jib sail. Enjoy the weekend!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015