s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

More Boat Work & Mall

03 January 2019 | Birkenhead Point
Helen/Mark
Before dinner last night, we decided to get in our dinghy and talk to Sky Blue Eyes as they were also anchored out into the channel. Karl & Julie were kind enough to invite on board. We had a lovely visit with them. They will be leaving tomorrow, so where they were anchored would not be an issue. On the way back to our boat, we stopped to say hello to the Aussies on the trawler that we anchored next to. They were very nice. The owner is taking the boat to Melbourne with new crew on Saturday. So, we gave them one of our boat cards and will contact them in March. Came back and had dinner. Then watched the last three episodes of Justified Season 3. We still have a couple more seasons to watch. Not sure if we will finish them any time soon. It was after 11 before we got to bed. We did notice lots of people walking/jogging on the pathways on both sides of this channel, which happens to be the Parramatta River. It was nice and flat and breezy for our sleep last night. Woke up around 7. Mark stayed in bed a bit longer. I know he was tired out from working on the stanchion repair. Had breakfast and he was back at work. We reinstalled the ceiling panel in the back bedroom. It was very overcast and felt like rain. We noticed the that trawler got their new crew this morning. The penetrating oil didn't work. The bolt would not budge. So, we packed all the pieces and tools and went to the public dock. An old man had just started fishing. He said we wouldn't be a problem to him. Mark hammered on the stanchion on the dock using an impact drive, but it would not budge. Tried heating it but also no luck. He gave up and we took a dinghy ride under the bridge. There were two or three small marinas with mooring balls. There was one small island in the middle which had a couple of docks. It was a national park called Sydney Harbour National Park Rodd Island. We needed permission before we could land on the island. At least a couple of buildings for canoe and rowers plus a ball park in back. I took a lot of pictures. Then we headed back to the boat. Mark got out his big saw and tried several blades. Slowly but surely each one carved out some of the aluminum base. Finally Mark was able to shear it. Still a part of it was still melded onto the end of the stainless steel post. He finally used his screw driver and hammer and it separated. Lots of corrosion was the issue for keeping it glued together. Mark installed the stantion in the new base that was installed yesterday and restrung the life lines that were removed so we could work on the stantion. I finished washing and drying the dishes and cleaning up the salon. Cooked lunch. The sun was hot but Mark hung up the shade panels and that helped us. It continued to be very overcast, but no rain. The jets were flying overhead on their way to landing at Sydney airport. The wind direction changed and we turned towards the opposite shore. So far, no complaints from the locals! After lunch, we both showered on the back steps using our new sun shower. Mark hung it up higher and it worked better. The water was very hot despite Mark added cold water. We sat on the deck and the sun was shining. We didn't last very long. We did notice that the sun is extremely hot down here. We enjoyed an afternoon rest. Mark really needed a rest after all his hard work today. We headed to the public dock and walked the path over to the Birkenhead Point mall around 3 pm. I tried to get in for an acupuncture appointment, but the appointments were taken. I made an appointment for Saturday morning, since we plan to stay here thru the weekend. That way we can enjoy this flat water and not be waked by ferries. Walked around the mall. Mark got a coffee and played with the free mall wifi. We can send emails but not much more. Cannot make phone calls on WhatsApp or Skype. I shopped at Coles, which is another big grocery store. Picked up a few things only. Walked back to meet Mark. Then headed back to the dinghy. Then dinghied back to the boat by 5:30. Mark enjoyed today's sg&t but he is exhausted. Listening to a Mariah Carey cd. I don't remember all her songs. The sky is quite overcast with a slight yellow/orange hue to the western sky. The sun will set shortly. There is much more wind. Mark checked and it was up to 20 knots. Good thing we are in a well protected place. Thanks for your emails and messages.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015