s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Rainy Day, Moved to The Spit

07 January 2019 | The Spit Bridge
Helen/Mark
It was very cold in the salon after dinner. Watched a couple of episodes of Justified with a blanket around us. Then our cabin was even colder. We had to add another heavy blanket for warmth. I did not sleep well. Mark too. I woke up a lot. We ended up throwing off the extra huge heavy blanket that warmed us last night. I do remember having a long dream. Not sure what it meant. I finally got up just after 6. Mark turned off the alarm that he set and got up too. After breakfast, we got the boat ready to leave the Parramatta River. Mark started the engines and we let them warm up some. Then he hauled the anchor. We motored over to the Birkenhead Marina fuel dock. Filled up our dinghy gas tank and added diesel to our tank, plus our three jerry jugs. The fuel cost was $1.65 per liter. Ouch! Good thing it was in Aussie dollars. The marina was very nice as were the two men that helped us. They took our bag of trash and released our lines. We motored around the channel towards the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Then we motor/sailed with jib under the bridge. It was overcast and raining lightly. Took lots of pictures going thru downtown. Carnival Spirit was in town today. That is the cruise ship we will be taking on 1/29 to NZ. Made some phone calls and our time on the water went by fast. The wind kept changing directions as the channel curved around. It was very overcast and sprinkling some. We didn't make great speed as the tide was against us. We headed for the Spit Bridge which leads into Middle Harbour. We were thankful that there was one mooring ball available. I picked up the line while Mark helped get our lines thru it. We stayed on the mooring ball all day. Mark launched the dinghy and headed over to Cammeray Marina to get our mail and see about keeping the boat here during our cruise. Their long-term buoy is available for the days of our cruise. That was good news. I stayed with the boat on the mooring ball. It remained hazy & foggy for the rest of day. Our salon temperature was 76 degrees. Mark didn't take very long. He noticed some fuel leaking from the dinghy motor, so we hoisted the motor off the dinghy to the aft railing. It was raining for most of the afternoon. Had lunch on board. Then we watched a couple of episodes of Justified as we waited for the rain to stop. It was still overcast at 4 pm, but the rain has eased. Ran the water maker today. Not that many boats out on the water in this area, so the water should be okay. Our water tank was almost empty. We came close to the small sailboat behind us, also on a mooring ball. It happened when the wind eased. Mark was finally able to work on the dinghy motor. He cleaned and tightened a few things. Then we lower the motor onto the dinghy. Then we took a ride out to their long-term mooring balls. It was over 3 miles thru many different branches of Middle Harbour. The water was very flat the whole way. Low speed limits by the bridge help. Less traffic thru here with the rainy day. I wore a sweater and jacket, but was cold on our fast ride. It was still overcast, but on the ride back, the sun was trying to shine. Found some interesting rock formations along the shore on the way back. Mark is making coffee, which we will add some Baileys to so we can warm up. My hands are still very cold. Thanks for your emails and messages. We didn't make it to Pittwater today. The winds won't be good tomorrow. So, we may wait until Wednesday to sail there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015