s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Back to Manly Again

16 January 2019 | Manly Cove
Helen
After dinner, we were able to get some wifi. It was quiet in the anchorage with many boats leaving before sunset. We had enough time to watch one episode of Season 6 Justified. Decided to get to bed by 10 pm as we were waking up early. We set the alarm to 6:30 as we had breakfast plans with David. Mark made a couple of calls to our banker and insurance company prior to heading out. Mark launched the dinghy. We took our two bags of trash with us. Headed over to the Avalon Sailing Club. There was a tiny beach which we pulled the dinghy up on and Mark secured it to their dinghy rack. No trash bins in sight. We walked up hill on their zig-zag driveway to the street above. It felt like climbing another mountain. There was a cafe, organic shop and a 7-11 type shop all in a row. David was already at a table, so he got their much earlier than us. We ordered breakfast. We had a bacon & egg roll which was tasty. Caught up with David. Had a lovely visit. After breakfast, we stopped for some veggies and then bread and oil, the two things we were out of. Headed down the hill and back to our dinghy. Lots of little kids getting sailing lessons on tiny sailboats at the Avalon Sailing Club. We dragged the dinghy back in the water and headed farther south to the next beach. Lots of moored boats along our ride. We pulled the dinghy on the beach. Mark took the two bags and fit them in the dumpsters. Then returned and we dinghied a little further and saw Scotland Island, where we were going to anchor yesterday. Lots of water and boats everywhere. We dinghied back to the boat. I helped Mark haul the dinghy into the davits with the motor on. We started the water maker, then the two engines. Mark hauled the anchor while I drove. The wind was on the nose as we worked our way out towards the ocean. The wind increased but was still too close to directly into the wind to be able to sail. The wind was predicted to be from the NE 15-20. Eventually it shifted, but we were almost at the Sydney entrance. When it shifted it was barely 5 knots. The ocean swells were sizable. 4-6 feet with some larger. We put up the main sail. I suggested putting out half the jib sail. I do think it helped, until we changed course. Then the wind was behind us. So, the main shadowed the jib. Lunch was a peanut butter and jam sandwich for Mark, while I had a protein shake. Mark added the second engine. Mark also made suggestion that when we get to Sydney, we will put the boat up for sale. So, that process has begun. That was a sad decision for me! By 1:30 pm Mark dropped the main sail and flew the full jib. May have tide against us as we were only making 4-5 knots and the waves were rough and close together. It was a rocky, bumpy ride, for sure. At least the sun was shining. The breeze was nice and cool to overcome the hot sunshine. Mark took in the jib as we came into the channel. Also, shut down the water maker. Headed towards Manly Bay, missing the many ferry boats that were going to and from Manly. There was a boat on each of the 5 public mooring balls. At least 3 other boats were anchored close by. Dropped the anchor but it didn't hold. So, as we were picking up the anchor to re-anchor, I noticed a large power boat dropping their mooring line. So, we picked up the anchor and headed over the mooring ball. I drove slowly while Mark got the lines set and picked up the mooring line. Once the two lines were secure, we flushed the water maker. Then Mark was hot and decided to get his swim suit on and go in the water to cool off. He was planning to do some more scrubbing on the hull bottoms. It was much colder water here. Plus he saw a few small jelly fish, so he came out before I even got in. We showered off the back steps. Sat out on the deck to dry off. The breeze was cool despite the sunshine. We watched the people on the beach. There were many kids jumping into the water off the railings of the docks at either end of the beach. Lots of entertainment for sure. It's still school holiday and lots of kids spend the entire day at the beach. We caught up on emails and wifi. Also, did some reading. Mark picked up today's newspaper, which is the first one we have read here. I enjoyed working on their two Suduko puzzles. Thanks to everyone for your emails & messages today. Great to hear from you! Mark has started the process of finding a broker and researching what it takes to sell a US boat in Australia. Mark & I enjoyed an sg&t this evening. We are happy to be back in Sydney!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015