s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Ferry Ride and Downtown Walking Tour

21 January 2019 | Birkenhead Point
Helen/Mark
After dinner last night, we watched the movie, I am Number Four. It was most entertaining. The star actor from Justified played in it. Headed to bed after 10 pm. Slept well and long. Must have been due to the weather as it rained over night and thru the morning. After breakfast, we didn't have a lot of time as we were planning to be at the Shopper Hopper before 9:30 departure to Circular Quay. Mark was wiping down the wet deck. We noticed lots of areas with patches of brown sand mixed in. Must be more sand storms out west of here causing that. Tried to clean up the boat as best we could. Headed over to the public dock and it was high tide so the bottom steps were under water. There was a power boat waiting to pick up people at the dock. We went on the inside and squeezed thru the railings to get up to the dock steps. Mark secured the dinghy knowing that the tide would drop before we got back. Headed along the path to the mall. The Shopper Hopper ferry boat had to unlock the gate on the dock to let us in. They were on time in opening the gate. Only Mark and I got on. Had a lovely conversation with the captain, named Mark and his lady crew. The boat had 22 padded seats inside and allowed 6 people to go to the upper deck. It was too rainy to try that. We has a good conversation about our boating experiences, they had lots of questions. Mark (the boat captain) stopped the ferry boat and let me take some pictures with the bridge and opera house. So very nice of him. It was raining some and he motored to the far side of the channel so I could get the whole bridge in the picture. It pretty much stopped raining as we got to the dock, just on the side of the cafes by the opera house. We walked up thru the wharf and stopped at the restrooms. Then I got some coconut water to drink. We had to walk several blocks over to the Westpac Bank. We were following Google Maps, which doesn't always give us the correct directions. Found the bank. Mark made the deposit to the bank account required to get the Evaluation going. Then it was another couple of miles to Darling Harbour, which is the other destination of the Shopper Hopper. We walked by the Aquarium, Wax Museum and a few other interesting places along the way. They had a bridge over the harbour for pedestrians and bikers. No vehicles. As we walked the bridge, we actually saw our Shopper Hopper make their stop there. That is where we planned to meet them at 1:30 for their pickup. Or the choice was to walk back to Circular Quay by 3:30 for their pickup. The Star Casino is the only casino in Sydney, other than the pubs & bowlers' clubs which have slot machines. I did not see any live casino tables operating. They did have a lady spinning three wheels up high. I selected the incorrect game to play. It was not my lucky day at all. We did get to watch some of the Patriot-St Louis championship football game. Patriots were leading when we left. Patriots ended up winning in overtime so they will meet LA Rams in the Superbowl. We walked thru Darling Harbour and stopped at a cafe for lunch. Food was good. Then we walked back to the pickup location but stopped first at the Maritime Museum. We walked around some. Lots to see. Mark was worried we would miss the pickup, so we headed over to their dock. There were several docks and we weren't sure which one they used. We waited by the ferris wheel which was the correct location. There were a few passengers onboard and they all got off. Again, we had the small ship to ourselves. It was wet but the rains had ended. It almost felt like the sun was going to shine. Still cool on the water. They had their plastic curtains up, so no splashes onboard. They offered to deliver us to our boat, but we said we had to collect our dinghy at the public dock. We stopped at the shopping mall and found our way out on the other side. Walked up the street that led to the bridge by our dock as Mark wanted to visit the boat shop called Whitworths. We were both tired by the time we walked there. Headed back and found our dinghy safely tied to the dock. The tide was much lower and a challenge to get down from the dock. Made it safely back to the boat. The wind was blowing from the ENE today so the boat is facing the opposite shore. One surprising thing that happened this morning while we waited to get on the Shopper Hopper, is that we saw a large tender boat go close to Charabia and throw something into our cockpit. When we got back we noticed a boat magazine, key chain and information in a plastic bag. It turns out that it was a company that would love to sell our boat. They offered to do the evaluation for free. This is just after we paid $500 to the other company, plus paid for the return ferry boat ride. Timing is everything. I boiled the kettle and enjoyed a hot shower. The sun is actually out for the first time in three days. It's still overcast with lots of clouds. We may be able to see the full moon tonight. We both enjoyed a nap. We were very exhausted. Not used to walking so much. We need to register for our cruises and that will take wifi and time to accomplish. Thanks for your emails, messages and comments. I will post some more pictures on Facebook after we post today's blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015