s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Moved to Shell Cove

23 January 2019 | Shell Cove
Helen
After dinner last night, we decided to register for our upcoming cruises, online. However, we had a few issues. Will have to check with our agent, Stephy. It was 11 pm before we knew it. It was nice and flat in the anchorage. We were finally able to see some of the big moon and stars in the sky. We both slept well. Woke up around 7. I woke up earlier but fell back asleep. After breakfast, we decided to take the dinghy to shore. We went to the dinghy dock in the park, close to our boat. We walked around to the end of the park and found the shopping mall called Tramshed. There was one floor of mainly eateries. They had a gym and a few other stores, including a grocery store. We walked around the mall. Took advantage of their free wifi. However, could not make any calls using it. We picked up a few things at the grocery store. Then dinghied back to the boat. Helped Mark hoist the dinghy and get ready for heading to another anchorage. Motor/sailed under the Anzac Bridge and then thru the lift bridge which was open. It was nice since all the ferry boats went slow thru that area. Then we got to the Sydney Harbour bridge. There were many ferries going in all directions at top speed. And add to that all the many sailboats and power boats resulting in huge wake. There was a storm that went thru the Manly beach area, but we got some high winds after we passed the bridge. The highest wind speed was 33 knots. We only had half the jib out, but Mark said we needed less sail and reefed while I drove. The high winds left us as we headed towards the Spit Bridge. Mark selected a spot off Wy-Ar-Gain Point. The bay was called Shell Cove and the beach on shore was called Chinamans Beach. We anchored in 11 feet of water. There were a couple of small sailboats on mooring balls but all the other boats were anchored. Mark launched the dinghy. Then he headed to Cammeray Marina to pick up our mail. He stopped along the way to fill up our dinghy fuel tank. I thought it would have taken longer, but he was back in record time. We put on our swim suits as the sun was shining and it was nice and warm. We saw most boaters jump into the water around their boats. I guess they weren't worried about sharks. We took the dinghy to shore and there were several markers with the sign, 'No boats'! So, that meant we couldn't take our dinghy to the beach. We spotted a tiny piece of sand which looked like it belonged to one of the houses up the hill. So, we dragged the dinghy up on the tiny beach and walked thru the mega huge rocks on the beach. Eventually, we had to walk in shallow water to get around the end of the rocks and to the Chinamans Beach. Walked the beach. It had turned much cooler, so we didn't go for a swim. The sky was overcast and the strong breeze was cold to me. There was a park area with a stairway up the hill. We walked up to find a sign banning boats from the beach and opposite the sign were many dinghies and canoes. Aren't they considered boats? We enjoyed our beach walk. Walked back around the big rocks to the dinghy. Took the dinghy back to the boat. Several of the big boats had hauled anchor and left this anchorage. The water in the sun shower was warm, so we had a lovely shower off the back steps. Then took a short nap. Heard some voices and thought we had some more boats coming in to anchor, but their voices carried well from the beach. Mark had an sg&t with pretzels tonight. We just noticed a 4-lady surf life saving boat close to shore. They had a male coach who also steered the boat. They moved thru the water extremely fast. Something different. It's overcast and looks like it could rain at any time. Our forecast predicted South winds 15-20. We are now facing S and only 2 knots of wind between gusts of 5 knots. Our salon temperature is 85 degrees. One more catamaran came and anchored beside us. Only the captain on board. We won't see the sunset tonight. Or the full moon as each night is overcast and we can't see any stars. Very gloomy outside. Thanks to all for your emails, messages and comments. We totally appreciate hearing from you. Enjoy your day!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015