s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Flat Water in Sugarloaf Bay

24 January 2019 | Sugarloaf Bay
Helen
After dinner last night, Mark selected the movie, Star Wars - Phantom Menace. I was working on the internet at the same time. We walked around on the deck as Mark wanted to check out our anchor. It was very dark and quiet. There was another catamaran that anchored around sunset, plus the two boats on mooring balls. Not many other boats in our anchorage. Headed to bed around 11 pm. We both slept well, despite the constant rocking from the swells coming into the Sydney harbour entrance. I woke up around 6 or so and fell back asleep. We got up much later and we were supposed to up for an 8 am visitor. Cal, the owner of the Cammeray Marina passed by our anchorage and planned to stop and pick up our Open CPN thumb drive. Mark told him it must be nice to drive his boat to work! After breakfast, it was rocky pretty steadily, so we decided to find another anchorage. We watched two dinghies pull several small optimist sailboats, each, full of small kids. They untied the boats and lined them up on a start line. Then they had a race but there was not much wind so no one was moving at any speed. Then on the other side there were some older kids in small sailboats also learning to sail. I suggested heading thru Spit Bridge to get out of the wake. Mark found a bay on the other side of the bridge. We motored towards the Spit Bridge. Waited only a few minutes before the 11:15 bridge opened. Another racing sailboat was waiting too. We were going fast thru the bridge as Mark gunned the engines. As we motored around a couple of bays, we received a call from Stephy, our Sydney Travel Agent. We were having issues registering for our other cruises. She figured it out and completed our registration. She also told us about traditions for Australia Day coming up in two days on January 26th. We're supposed to eat some lamb and a special jelly roll dessert called Lamington. We will be celebrating for sure since it is also our anniversary. Mark selected the anchorage, Sugar Loaf Bay, a couple of bays inside Middle Harbour. Nice and flat and 'No Wash' signs posted. There were 4 pink public mooring balls. All were taken. Just as we went further looking for a spot to anchor, the Brisbane sailboat, dropped their mooring ball. I yelled Thank You!! as he was motoring by. Mark got us close enough for me to snag the mooring ball line. Mark attached the line to the starboard side cleat. Then we attached a line on the port side thru the mooring ball. That way the mooring ball cannot hit either of the hulls. We can hear the cicadas, plus the odd bird nattering. Very nice and flat!! Yeah, as my stomach was acting up. Once the lines were secure, Mark asked about lunch. It was well after noon and I was hungry too. I started cooking up some veggies to go with our leftover chicken. Mark set the cockpit table. We had a lovely lunch outside. The sun was missing today. It was overcast the entire day. We caught up on wifi and then took a short nap. It is definitely nice and flat here. There was a nice cool breeze filtering thru our bay. Mark suggested taking the dinghy for a ride. I was up for exploring a new place. He launched the dinghy and we headed around the bay. It reminded us of Pittwater, with is mostly parkland hills and rocky shorelines. Took several pictures which I will post on Facebook. Mark got me close enough to one of the big huge rocks touching the shore. Tiny crabs and bugs scattered as we came close. I was able to do a lovely connection. Worked our way around the bay. There were a few houses at the shore, one had an auction sign but no sign of life. There were several up at the top on one side. It was a long way down to the water from those houses. On the other side we saw some stone steps. There was no place to beach the dinghy as it was high tide and it was a higher high tide with the full moon. So we were content to motor back to our boat. Helped Mark hoist up the dinghy. We saw at least a couple of spots with tinnies stacked up. I spent the next hour or so selecting the clothes that I will be taking on our cruise. I put several back in my closet as our suitcase is only so big! Mark made a couple of calls to Garmin as our auto pilot has a date of 1999 for some reason. It's quite the task to download an update. We started researching our stops in New Zealand. I would like to check their excursions to see what they recommend. And then check the New Zealand websites to see what they recommend. We will be departing on Carnival Spirit in five days. I'm getting very excited. I cannot believe that after they post signs for no wake in this bay at least two small boats deliberately motored at top speed and sent some wake our way. Mark had his sg&t while he worked on his Garmin update. We are listening to some Stan Rogers music as it gets closer to sunset here. No sunset photos today as there is no sign of the sun. The breeze is definitely cool but the salon is still over 80 degrees. Looking forward to a nice quiet night. Thanks for your emails, comments and messages. We do miss everyone!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015