s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Australia Day & Anniversay Celebrations

26 January 2019 | Manly Cove
Helen/Mark
After dinner, last night, we worked on internet research. The evening went by way too fast. Got to bed around 11 pm. Woke up early, just after 6 am. Mark check our position and noticed that there was one open mooring ball. So, we hauled anchor and headed over towards the shark fence. I snagged the mooring ball line and attached it to the starboard side. Then Mark helped put a line thru the mooring ball and securing it on the port side. It didn't seem like too many people were up early today. We are celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary!! We were close to the shark net plus a Sun Odyssey 39 sailboat on one side and Zeston 36 foot sailboat on the other side. Can't see names on either sailboat. Both are Aussie boats. Cleaned the boat after having breakfast. Two other boats talked about coming to visit but we waited until 9:30 and no one showed up. Or maybe they didn't find us as we moved to the mooring ball. Mark launched the dinghy and we headed to shore. Dragged it up on the beach and secured it to the shark fence. Then we walked the two blocks to the ocean. Found out that on Saturdays & Sundays, there are tents set up for a street mall and they sell all kinds of things, including jewelry. There were several musicians playing and singing, as they do every time we have been there. We walked out to the beach in time to watch some of the 100th Anniversary of the Manly Surf Life Saving Carnival. Lots of youngsters racing in various events. Took many pictures and some video on my phone. Then walked over to where the safe area was between the flags and got into the water. It was cold and there was a steady line of surf coming to shore. It packed a good punch on the big surf hitting us. Mark swam in on a few. What fun. I didn't feel safe going out too far. Lots of people in the water. Walked back to the showers and hosed off. Lots of people on the beach. Walked back along the tents around 11. They were selling sandwiches so Mark got the bacon & egg one for $6 and mine had that plus sausage for $7. That was a great deal from Nippers. Then we walked back to Manly Bay. Dinghied back to the boat. Mark took our bag of trash and dinghied to shore to put it in the trash bin. Then we took a short nap. Once up, we hung our wet items on the lifeline. Sailboats were out racing just after 2 pm. Saw the spinnakers as they went downwind in their sailing race. Made a few calls. However, it was getting too late to call. Dinghied to shore and secured the dinghy against the end of the shark fence. Then walked to the Manly Wharf. Stood in line to purchase our ferry tickets at $9.60 each to Circular Quay in downtown Sydney. Able to get on the 5 pm ferry and sat upstairs in seats that were behind glass windows. Got to see the surroundings as we went by. Took pictures along the way. It took half an hour to get to Circular Quay. They had the ferry docks full of security. We had to walk to the very end to get out. Then found the ticket machine and bought our return ferry tickets. The streets were shut down so we just walked on the street looking for a restaurant. Selected the Customs House Bar and shared a pizza for dinner as they pretty much sold out of most things on their menu. Busy place. Then Mark suggested going to a movie theater to kill the time before the 9:15 pm fireworks. There was a theater in one of the buildings close to the Opera House. Watched the movie, Mary Queen of Scots which cost $22 each. It has been forever since we have been to a movie theater. I am not sure how true to history the movie was. Once done, we walked out just as the fireworks started. Got to see the fireworks right where we came out of the theater. Very good display. They sang the national anthem, which I didn't recognize. Then we started walking towards the ferry dock. They had even more fireworks. Wow! Got to our ferry dock and waited in line to get in. The ferry didn't leave until 10 pm so we were early as we thought it would have been crowded. Finally let us get thru the ticket scanner, but then still had to wait. We sat on the lower level of the ferry, but there was nothing to see out the windows in the dark with all the ferry lights on. We did feel some rocking as we went by the open ocean entrance. Other than that, the ride was smooth. We connected to their free wifi and occupied ourselves for the half hour ferry ride. Got to the Manly Wharf and walked out towards the beach. They had some of the docks out to the beach closed. But we walked around to the far side of the shark fence and were able to use the stairs to get on the beach. Mark unlocked the dinghy line and I took my shoes off. It was almost high tide. Dragged the boat down to the water and once floating, I got in. Mark pushed us off, got in and started the motor. It was a nice short distance to our boat. Our boat is still facing south. It's a little rocky here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015