s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Cruise Prep

28 January 2019 | Cammaray Marina
Helen
Last night we enjoyed the movie, The Man From Snowy Mountain. It was a classic Australian movie, which I had never seen. Mark saw it many years ago. The skies opened up with all the lightning and thunder to rain for quite a while. We are keeping Charabia on a mooring ball in Cammeray Marina until we get back from our NZ cruise on Feb. 8th! Got to sleep by 11 pm. I woke up several times. We switched our positions to have our heads closer to the opening of our cabin. It is easier to get in and out the other way. Woke up around 7:30. It was overcast and cool. I stayed in our cabin and did some leg and back exercises. Mark paid some bills. Then we both had breakfast. The first task of the day was pickling the water maker. Need to do that to preserve the membrane if it won't be used for more than 5 days. I helped Mark with timing on the different phases. So, we are not planning to use it anymore as the local water is good. It took a long time and was very successful. Then Mark added a locking metal latch to the main fuel locker. It's good to have that done as I always worried about someone being able to access our fuel tank and empty them when we were not on the boat. We both worked on our packing. Mark selected his clothes. He didn't bring any dress shoes so it's going to be a very casual cruise for us. Our suit case is packed. We have an alternate gym bag with wheels to take as well. We do get some free laundry on board, so that will work out for taking less clothes or coming back with clean clothes! We took the dinghy to the marina as we needed to check in. We found that there was no one in the office, just Buzzy, the tender working on this holiday. Australia day was on Saturday but today is the official holiday. Schools will be open tomorrow. We dinghied back to the boat and worked on more boat jobs. Mark emptied our 3 jerry jugs into our fuel tank. Our tank is close to full. I cooked a yummy lunch. I was using up our fresh foods. Should work well as are leaving tomorrow on our 11 night/10 day cruise to New Zealand. Ate at the cockpit table and it was a pleasant temperature. Then we did more research on New Zealand. Mark reserved a car for one of the shore days. That will be fun driving around the North Island of NZ. Our day started quite cool. Mark said I would have been cold if I was outside. As the day went by the sun came out and it was hot. I was sweating looking for some specific things to add to take on the cruise. There seemed to be not much of a breeze coming in thru our hatches. We actually missed our afternoon nap today. Mark suggested getting in the dinghy and getting some exercise. So, we dinghied to the dock at Tunks Park and Mark secured the dinghy. We climbed up the stone steps to the park pathway. Then noticed a small power boat coming to the dock. They stopped on the dock and then for some reason, they floated back and came along side our dinghy. When they put their boat in gear, they pinned our dinghy against the dock. I really don't know where they learn how to operate motor vessels. We enjoyed our walk along the path. We passed by the 5th and 6th holes at the Northbridge Golf Course. There was a sign stating that our path was on the Wreck Bay track. We took the path and had a lovely walk on the edge of the bay where Cammeray Marina was located. I took some pictures and will post them to Facebook, shortly. We could see Charabia along with the other moored boats and the marina from our rocky path above the water in our bay. On the walk back to the dinghy dock, we observed the same boat that hit someone's tinny on New Years' Eve. It's a sailboat and they had a canvas awning over the entire length of the boat. So, the driver's vision could not have been great. There was one very small boy up on the bow holding a boat hook. There was another small child on the swim platform with their feet in the water. One other adult was in the cockpit. As they got to their mooring ball in front of us, the father jumped over the awning ties and made it to the front in time to pick up the mooring ball. Maybe that's an Aussie thing. The sky was mostly blue after 5 pm but towards the west, there are many clouds. It looks like it could rain sometime tonight. We are enjoying listening to a YouTube by Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert. He posts one every day. We will lose our phone & wifi coverage when we cruise, unless we sign up for some coverage. We plan to take our Garmin with us, so you can send us a message while we are gone. We will buy wifi when we get to Napier, Tauranga, Auckland and Bay of Islands. Our plan is to post early before we leave Sydney tomorrow. We will create a post each day, but it won't get added until we get wifi on Feb. 2nd. Thanks so much for your emails, message and comments. Love hearing from you!! Enjoy the next few days because we sure will!!

Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015