s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Bay of Islands Tour

05 February 2019 | Tasman Sea
Helen
Headed to bed by 11 pm. Mark set the alarm for 6 am as we had to meet up with our tour group at 7 am. Slept well. Got up and dressed and headed up to the Lido deck for breakfast. Not sure why they schedule early tours when they don't start the hot break fast food until late. Mark had some apple danishes while I found some cereal and muffins. Headed back to the cabin to pick up our carry bag with cameras and jackets, plus a bottle of water. Met in the Versailles Room and waited for our group to be called. We walked down a steep set of stairs to the lifeboat that transported us to the dock on shore. It was shallow in the bay so the Carnival Spirit was a long way from shore. It took 25 minutes on the long tender ride to Waitangi. Once there, we boarded the Te Maki which was a motor catamaran. It held almost 300 passengers with 3 decks of seats. We headed up to the second floor and selected seats behind the helm station, by the window. The ship was fairly new and in great shape. The captain took us out into the bay, past our ship so we could take pictures. He was very good at turning the boat around so everyone had access to a clear view to take pictures. We kept moving to the top floor to take pictures. When the boat accelerated, the breeze was cold, so I am glad that I had my jacket. The captain gave us history of the areas different islands. He also told us some funny stories and kept us entertained for 3 hours. I really enjoyed the tour. Lieutenant James Cook chartered the many islands before he was promoted to Captain. There was one island with a carve out, hole in the rock. If the conditions would have been better, the ship would have gone thru the hole in the rock. However, today's conditions were not favorable. We were disappointed. Truthfully, I didn't think we could fit. It was a lovely sunny day, once again. The temperature was almost 80 degrees, so very hot in the direct sunlight. The ship also had free wifi. We made a couple of calls but it was hard to hear with the noise of the boat. We got dropped off at a different location. There was a market set up in an open field with tented stalls. We walked around. The market as well as some of the shops in town. Then we took a bus to the Treaty Grounds. Decided not to take the tour and head back to the ship for a late lunch. The bus dropped us at the pier. We took another covered lifeboat back to the ship. Had a lovely lunch of chicken and beef tacos, which were tasty. Indulged in some dessert before heading to our cabin. Decided to get into our swim suits and use the big hot tub in the spa area. However, when we got there the spa was closed for cleaning. Walked back to the Serenity area and found an empty gazebo. We enjoyed the hot tub and then relaxed in our gazebo. We decided to head up to our cabin and shower. Then had a lovely rest. I guess we got up too early today as we were both wiped out. We sat out on our balcony for a while. The sun was pretty hot. After our nap, we got dressed and the phone rang. It was the pursers' desk. They wanted to do something for us for the inconvenience of the water issues in our room. They are taking care of my two acupuncture appointments. I was really happy about that. We headed down to the Empire Dining Room for our early dinner. We both had the chicken drumsticks appetizers, but it was not my favorite. Then we both had turkey Parmesan with veggies for the main course. They are pretty good about getting me the gluten free choices, including dessert. After dinner, we came back to the cabin and decided to join the outdoor movie on the big screen. It was the latest Jurasic Park. I didn't think it was that good. Mark got us each some popcorn, a drink and a blanket. Tonight, I was not cold. However, when the movie finished, I was cold. We decided to visit the casino. If I could just keep the same bets, I would have done better. I was up and then played it down. Mark's choices were much better and he cashed out more than double. We headed to the Pharaoh's Palace. Tonight was the finale or the lip syncing contest. The ship dancers helped out. The two finalists did a great job, singing two songs each. Once it was done, we decided to head to the Versailles Room to watch an R rated comedy show. Mark said the comic was not that good. We shared a drink while we watched the show. I thought most of it was funny. Our time is changing by one hour overnight. We get one more hour of sleep. Since we were both feeling cold, we went and got a hot chocolate and took it back to the room. Could not believe how many people were up in the Lido deck. Lots of tables were filled with card players. We are officially on our way back to Sydney. We only have three more nights on board!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015