s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Back Aboard Charabia

08 February 2019 | Manly Cove
Helen/Mark
Woke up many times thru the night. I checked a few times to see if we were still on the ocean. Mark turned on the tv on and checked time and our location which is shown on one of the channels. The last time was after 5 am. I could see the coast thru the window out to the balcony, which meant that we were already thru the Heads entrance. By 6 we were tying up to the dock at Circular Quay. We slept a bit longer and then got dressed and headed to Deck 9 for the last Lido deck breakfast. We both had eggs for breakfast. Added some Aussie bacon and a muffin. Mark had a danish and added coffee. I added some fruit, pineapple, peaches and watermelon. Walked back to our cabin and said good-bye to Sunny. She came out on our balcony and we took a picture of the three of us with the Harbour Bridge in behind our balcony. We gave her some of the things we didn't plan to take back to the boat and she was very happy. Finished getting everything packed away. Made a couple of calls using our Aussie cell service. It was a sad day to be leaving behind cabin, 6329, on board Carnival Spirit. It was around 8:15. It took time waiting on other passengers. Our disembarkation zone was U, so most of the ship should have already gotten off. One thing we noticed that the US ships would not allow was leaving your suitcases in a pile by the elevator, while you got your breakfast. They would make ship announcements to not leave bags unattended. We took the elevator down to the 3rd deck to exit. They scanned our ship badges for the last time as we walked out over the gangway to shore. They had two large elevators to get us down to the ground level. Then there were two lines with an official standing at the end. They collected our two custom forms that we filled out and did not even ask any questions like customs/immigration usually does. Mark arranged an Uber ride. It was already getting hot outside. Our driver showed up within 5 minutes of our request. He delivered us to Tunks Boat ramp around 9. Mark called Cammeray Marina for a tender pick up. We were back on board Charabia before we knew it. Our boat was covered in brown sand from the storms that passed thru while we were away. Also, the birds loved the starboard railing and left dropping on the deck and side of our boat. Need to get it cleaned. We wiped down the cockpit area. Unloaded our suitcases from the cockpit. Put everything away as we emptied our bags. Then Mark called for a tender ride to the marina to pay for our stay at Cammeray. It was $139. He was going to talk to Cal, but Cal was not at the marina. I started cleaning the boat. Mark returned on the tender and was worried that we would not make the 11:15 Spit Bridge opening. I told him that we had plenty of time. So, engines were started. We dropped the mooring ball connection at the back and front and we were free. Cal caught up to us with his boat and told us he would come by in the morning as we told him we would be in Manly, which is where he lives. He also told us he had a vehicle which we could use. That was a very kind offer. We had at least 10 minutes wait at the bridge, behind 5 other sailboats. The wind was light and on the nose so no sailing for us. We motored over to Manly Bay and just as we got close, we noticed a boat had just vacated one of the mooring balls. Perfect timing for us. There was a ketch sailboat anchored just behind us and we could see at least 6 small kids on deck as we motored by. Later we noticed at least 8 kids. The boat really needed some tlc! Mark launched the dinghy and we headed to shore. Secured the dinghy to the shark fence. Then walked up to the ocean. Walked the beach and checked out the many restaurants close to the beach. Ended up coming back to the Ivanhoe Hotel restaurant. Enjoyed our lunch inside in the air conditioning with their free wifi. Had a lovely conversation with our friend Stephy to give feedback from the cruise. It really was one of our best cruises! Then walked back to Aldis at the Manly Wharf. Picked up fresh fruits and veggies and meat to last us over the next number of days. Walked the beach to our dinghy, and headed back to Charabia. It was hot. Not much of a breeze out here. Decided to take a short nap. Mark put out the Breeze Booster over our cabin window and we got some nice cool air flowing thru the cabin. Mark got up and I followed suite. Had a nice conversation with a local Fountaine Pajot cat owner, Peter, who we met at Bums Bay. He gave us some good advise on selling our boat. It was Friday Sailboat Race night and many boats were out on the water just behind our mooring balls. We could see lightning in the distance. It got increasingly darker and the rains finally came our way. The sailboats all disappeared as they canceled the races with the thunderstorm approaching. Mark is enjoying his sg&t as we listened to some news. It's raining pretty good, so hope our deck gets cleaned off. Welcome back to the real world with a 27 knot squall just as it is getting dark. Will have something light for dinner tonight. We did eat too many good meals on the cruise. So, it's time to get back to our normal routine. Thanks for your emails and messages. The winds are supposed to change tomorrow which will allow us to move our boat back to Pittwater. We do need to scrub the bottom and Peter had suggestions for a shallow sandy bay. We may do that first before selecting a broker.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015