s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Dog Show & Rain Finally Stopped

24 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
Helen
After dinner, we watched the movie, King Arthur. It was entertaining. I actually didn't fall asleep, despite being worn out. It was raining lightly with a steady breeze. Headed to bed after 11 pm. I woke up and could not fall back asleep. I am remembering more of my dreams these days. My mind wouldn't stop so I finally got up and did some reading in the salon. It was barely 72 degrees when I got up. I headed back to bed after an hour or so. Mark was asleep. He said he didn't hear me. The wind was howling over 20 knots the entire time. It was raining too. Finally went back to bed. Slept well until 8. Mark actually got out of bed at 7 and I didn't hear him. He had breakfast. Then he bailed the dinghy and swapped fuel tanks. I was happy for the extra sleep time. We have been missing our afternoon naps. I had some cereal for breakfast. Then Mark started hanging out the wet clothes from yesterday. I helped and added several more. The only problem was that soon after they were nicely drying with the breeze, it started raining once more. Mark and I both raced to get the clothes off the line. The rain didn't last very long. The sun actually came out a few times. Then I re-hung the clothes out on the lifelines. Decided to let the clothes dry another hour. Worked on cleaning out more of the storage areas. Filled up three bags of trash. Mark added a coat of paint to the area where he did the fiberglass repairs yesterday. The results were very good! It was breezy with some sun, so the clothes all dried fast. We finalized what we were sending back to Jax in our second mailing box and put it into a trash bag so it wouldn't get wet on route to the post office in the small shop up the hill in Newport. It's more of a variety shop. Thankful that they open for a few hours on Sundays. The trash bins were full near the public dock, so kept our trash in our dinghy, intending to drop them off at the park trash cans. We mailed off the box. Then stopped at Beco's for lunch. It had stopped raining but was overcast and breezy. When the sun was out, I was hot in my jacket. Finally took it off. Lunch was bacon & egg with a flat white coffee for Mark, while I had a chicken burger without the bun and avocado slices and some greens. They were already closing up so we didn't stay long. We walked over to The Newport gaming bar. We stopped at the restrooms. Then each of us gave $10 to our slot machines. I won a lot of free game spins, but none of them paid much of anything. Then Mark noticed the signs that this was the Dog Show weekend. We walked out into the restaurant areas and saw lots of people with dogs. There was something going on over at the stage, but they did not speak very loud and there was no speakers around to hear what they were saying. It was all to do with the various competitions for the Dog Show. Walked thru crowds of people and took some pictures of our boat from the waters edge. Then worked our way out of the large complex. Good to see so many people participating as the day was overcast all morning. However, by lunch time it was sunny and much warm. We walked back to the dinghy and motored over to Winnererremy Park. Mark pulled the dinghy up on the sand and secured the line to a park bench. We dropped off our bags of trash and walked around the park. It was good to get some exercise. Walked back to the dinghy just as a young man and his tiny son were walking on the beach. The man offered to help Mark pull the dinghy into the water. I was able to get in and not get my shoes wet. So, sweet! Headed back to the boat. Then we took some books and dropped them off at Florence, but Matt and Amy were not on board. Came back to the boat and we both worked on emptying more storage areas and re-arranging things we keep and things we give away. I cleaned off the stove top with some stainless steel cream. It looked great. Don't want to use it before they take the pictures tomorrow. Matt & Amy stopped by. Mark went thru our bag of give aways and they took some of them back to their boat. We did pack a lot of sunscreen and bug spray that we really didn't use. I always had visions of having to fend off bugs but we didn't really see too many along our travels. Glad to find a good home for them. Our cabins are nicely cleaned off. I washed and scrubbed some of the walls and floors and you name it...things do look great. Still have some final things to do in the morning. Mark had a sandwich with nutella as I told him I wasn't cooking anything. I plan to have a protein shake. More things to use up on the boat. We are both exhausted. The breeze was strong all day, but the sun did shine for a good part of the afternoon. Not as many people on the water today. It was definitely cooler. Dave & Heather were supposed to board the Sea Princess in Brisbane for a 2 week trip to the north and south islands of New Zealand. Cyclone Oma messed up their plans. The ship is delayed by 3 days due to high winds and seas. They won't include any stops on the south island. Hope they get a refund on the three missing days. Thanks to everyone for your emails. I hope I answered them all. Loved hearing your news. It's almost 7 pm and sun is getting close to setting time. At least the sun is visible. But still the breeze is keeping the temperature low. Mark will check with Multihull Solutions in the morning to see if they arranged the camera crew to document our boat. Enjoy your weekend.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015