s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Car Rented, Manly Beach

26 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
Helen
Started watching the movie, Bohemian Rhapsody. We only made it thru half of the movie before we got too tired and headed to bed. Took a walk out on the deck. It was the clearest night since we got to Pittwater. So many stars in the sky. The breeze was definitely cold so we didn't stay out too long. Slept in some today. It was almost 8 before we got out of bed. Had breakfast and got ready to head to shore. Mark reserved a Budget car in Manly. We stopped at the small catamaran that anchored beside us. The Australian man lived in the area and usually on a mooring ball further around the bay. We enjoyed a lovely chat. Then headed to the beach off Winnererremy Park. Tied our line up to one of the park benches along the shore. We had to drag the dinghy up the beach quite a ways as it was low tide.
Our Uber driver was a former water polo athlete for Cuba until he moved to Spain and then Australia. We had a lovely conversation as it took us 30 minutes to drive the 7 miles. We picked up our Toyota Yaris and will keep the car for a month. Enjoyed talking to the Budget employee. He was a huge American baseball and football fan. What fun. He knew so many details about the teams, including our Jacksonville Jaguars. Headed over to the north end of Manly Beach. Parked on a side street and walked over to the beach. We didn't realize there was a rock pool at this end. There was a building with restrooms and showers. The view looking out on the ocean is always incredible. It does take my breath away. We walked around the rocky edge of the pool to the rocks on the shore. They added a bench to sit on the rocks. We watched the surfers out on the ocean. There were some big swells coming into the rocks below us and smashing up in the air. We did find the Manly Beach free wifi and I did post pictures on Facebook. We made a few calls as I was anxious to show off the beach. Thanks to those that answered their phones. The connection was not the greatest. It was a sunny and hot day at the beach. There is always a good breeze off the ocean. Lots of people in the water and many on the beach, for a Tuesday. We walked up and found a cafe for lunch. They all seem to have the same daily special with egg & bacon on a bun. Today's included a brioche bun and it was very tasty. Afterwards, we walked back to the car. We stopped at a large shopping mall which had 4 different barber shops but their price was too high. Decided that Mark would get his hair cut another day. We forgot our chargers, so thankfully, we had enough juice in Mark's phone to use Google Maps to find our way back to the park. We left our car on the street closest to the water. Hopefully, no one minds us parking there. It's a residential street. We walked back to the dinghy and it was floating in the high tide. Mark headed over to the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club. Prince Alfred was a son of Queen Victoria and also the Duke of Edinburgh. We took our shower gear with us and stopped for a shower in their beautiful facility. It was race night and we dinghied behind some small sailboats with no engines. They did a great job getting back into the marina. Headed back to the boat after our showers. Helped Mark hoist the dinghy into the davits. We are trying to keep the dinghy clean. When we leave it in the water, things tend to grow on the bottom. We have enough to keep clean on the boat, so we don't need anything else. Back aboard around 4:30. The sun was still shining but now the breeze was colder. Hung out our towels to dry. Then listened to the local radio station Triple M. It's really entertaining with some very funny stories. We plan to finish watching Bohemian Rhapsody after dinner. We will be back in clean up mode tomorrow, with more photographers coming by to take still pictures of our boat. That will happen right after lunch. Thanks for the emails and messages. It's great to hear from you!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015