s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

On the Road to Sydney

18 March 2019 | Batemans Bay
Helen
Set the alarm for 6 am as Elizabeth was getting up early to head to work. Mark and I got dressed and had cereal for breakfast with a banana. Elizabeth had coffee and toast. We finished packing and Mark got the car and backed into her driveway so we could put our suitcase and bags in the trunk. We said good bye to Elizabeth and left before 7 am. The car actually had steamy windows so the night temperature must have dipped some. We followed Google Maps out of Melbourne. The big traffic was heading in the opposite direction. Shortly after leaving, it started to rain lightly. The rain stayed with us thru mid-afternoon. In places it looked cloudy but we could smell smoke. We were happy for the rain since it was working to help put out the bush fires. The road was very hilly with speeds up to 110 Kilometers. Mostly, we traveled on two lane hiways. They did have an extra lane for passing every so many kilometers. We stopped for lunch at the Pelican Point Cafe. We each had a bacon and egg sandwich. We spent a long day on the road. We passed several national parks, bridges with a bit of water underneath, many farms on the rolling hills with cattle, horses or sheep, or just empty lands. It was nice when the rain finally stopped. We worked our way to the coast and could finally see water from the ocean, beyond the shore line. We didn't get to our hotel in Batemans Bay until almost 5 pm. We actually have a one-bedroom cabin at a hotel called Coachhouse Marina Resort. After checking in, we headed to our cabin and unloaded our bags. Then took a long walk around the edge of the water. We could see the ocean at the end of the bay. There were swells coming into the shallow areas near the marina. There were plenty of sailboats on mooring balls, being tossed by the swells. We could see half a dozen sailboats anchored close to the ocean in a protected area. Lots of huge rocks made up the break water, which led to a boat ramp at the end. We could only walk around so far. There were thick evergreen-type bushes across the path. We saw a sign that we weren't allowed to walk further as it was a wildlife protected area. We walked back and would have had dinner at the restaurant, but it was closed on Mondays. Same with the restaurant at the marina. So, we drove a few more blocks and enjoyed a Thai dinner. Then picked up a couple things at Aldis, so we can eat breakfast here before driving to Sydney. It was a warm enough day, especially when the sun came out. Mark did all the driving. Thankfully, as some of the hiway looked like it needed another coat of asphalt. Pretty rough ride at times, and wet pavement to deal with, didn't make me want to drive at all. We just watched the highlights of yesterday's F1 race. They didn't show the crowd on the race track beyond the trophy presentation area, or we could have seen ourselves! It will be an early night for us as we are both tired out and would like to get an early start tomorrow. Thanks so much for the emails and messages. We will enjoy seeing some more of the country side on our way back to Sydney tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015