s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Back Aboard

19 March 2019 | Elvina Bay
Helen
Mark set the alarm for a 7:30 wake up. If we were smart we would have gotten up and left. But we lazed in bed since we were in need of a little more bed time. We had breakfast of cereal with the almond milk we bought last night. Then showered. Mark had to take our trash to one of the bins. Also, we had to wash our dishes. Not sure I liked either task since we were paying for their hotel and service. Packed up the car and headed out around 9 am. As we began the second leg back to Sydney, the rain found us. It rained hard at times. Our first stop was a drive out to the ocean in Jervis Bay. We walked around a memorial for the army and navy historic times in Jervis Bay. They had a really big rock pool at the edge of the beach. It was a beach with a little sand and lots of rock. We walked around and up to where we parked our car. It was nice and dry for our walk and climb. As we left and got back on the M1 hiway, it started to rain again. After a while we saw some views of the ocean and beach, so we drove into Kiama and noticed the signs for a Blow Hole. We drove high up and had a great view of the rocky coastline. Every once in a while the waves were big enough to force water thru a small hole in the rocks. There were several other tourists waiting around for the blow hole to push out the salt water. We stopped in town for lunch. I had some Thai veggies and rice. Mark had an egg and bacon roll with his coffee. Then we continued to Sydney. The speed limit increased in places to 110 K, but equally, there were many slow downs for towns and construction work. It was a long drive. Thankfully, Mark stayed behind the wheel. We made one more stop at a lookout at Mount Keira. It was a good distance to drive up and down the mountains on very skinny roads. The view was beautiful. Just then the heavens opened and we ran to get under the cover of the cafe awning. I said we would have had lunch there, if we had known. We enjoyed some ice cream. Then headed back to the M1. Our stops added to our time. We arrived at the Church Point just after 4:30 but we were unable to get a ride from our marina. The marina must have already closed. So, we had to pay to park the car and also for a water taxi to take us to our boat. We took a few of our bags with us. It cost $23 for the water taxi. Mark launched the dinghy and we headed back to shore. We stopped at the marina around the corner, but they closed at 4:30 so we could not get fuel for the dinghy motor. We dinghied to Church Point and I stayed with the dinghy, while Mark went to retrieve the car. I haven't really driven the dinghy this whole time we have been traveling. So, thankfully, everything went well. I was able to find my way around the bay to the park dock at McCarrs Creek Reserve. Mark was already there to meet me. We took the dinghy fuel tank and headed to Mona Vale for a fill up. We stopped for dinner. It was supposed to be a quick meal as our daylight was failing. The pizza place lost power and told us it would take half an hour. We did remember some of the traffic lights were out in north Sydney, close to our destination. So, we selected the restaurant next door for dinner. We both ordered a Turkish quesadilla. They were too huge to finish. We took half home. The next stop was for some gas for our dinghy tank and our car. We stopped at the local BP gas station. However, with the power outage, they could not restart their pumps. So, it was off to another gas station. The price for unleaded was $1.49/liter. We drove back to McCarrs Creek Reserve and loaded the dinghy tank as well as one more of our bags. Headed back to the boat. Mark left the dinghy in the water but locked it to our boat. Did some unpacking. Our boat survived without us. It looked like some small birds had taken a spot inside our covered cockpit. Will have to clean up the boat tomorrow. We are both exhausted. Once we post this blog, we will be heading to sleep early. Thanks for your emails and messages. Tomorrow, we plan to sleep in.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015