s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Back on Land

22 March 2019 | Manly
Helen
Watched the movie, All the Money in the World last night. I really didn't remember the history for the Getty kidnapping. It was after 10 pm before we got to bed. The moon was big and brights once more. For some reason, I could not fall asleep and kept waking all night. Mark said he woke up a lot too. Must have been the big energy from that full moon. Woke up around 7:30 but didn't get up until 8. Had breakfast. Then started putting our bags together. Also packed up some boxes of food to take with us. Mark took one load of bags in the dinghy. He packed them away in our car which we let in McCarrs Park. I cleaned the entire boat, once again. Packed things away and put out our nice bed spread over our cabin bed. I was sweating by the time I finished. Mark called for a tender ride to shore around 11. We got picked up and deposited at the pier at Cottage Point. Then Mark took a local bus to McCarrs Park to get the car. The bus doesn't go all the way to the park, so he had a bit of a walk and had to walk on a trail as there were no shoulders on the road lanes. He said that he walked into a spider web. I was glad that I didn't join him. He picked me up at Cottage Point. We drove to Cammeray Marina as Mark forwarded our mail there last week. We parked up the hill and climbed down the 99 stairs to the marina only to find that the mail had not yet arrived. Had a lovely chat with the owner, Cal, and his wife. We were going to stop for lunch along the way, but we couldn't find a parking spot near any of the cafes along our drive. I had packed some snack bars, so we enjoyed one along the way. Drove to Manly Beach around 2 pm. We got a tour of the flat that we are renting for the next week or so. It is very beautiful and walkable to Manly Beach. We drove to the post office as we know they have two hours of free parking across the street. Then got a bite to eat. We each had a burger and fries for their lunch deal of $10. We enjoyed our lunch. Then walked out to the beach. It looks like they are having a surfing challenge over the next few days. There were many people in the water surfing and swimming at the far end. Then we walked the other way to Manly Pier and got a few groceries at Aldis. Then walked back. Mark stopped at Liquorland to get some cans of CC & Coke, already mixed. Walked back to the car. Then drove back to our flat. Unloaded our groceries and the rest of our bags and boxes that we brought with us. I was tired by this point. We took a short rest as I got to watch some tv. Then headed out to walk to the beach. Our flat is close to the far end of Manly Beach, close to the rock pool end. The five minute walk took much longer. We walked thru a park which was on the side of the Manly Lagoon. We had to climb up a few sets of stairs to get over a bridge as the lagoon had a lot of water. The Lagoon water was sourced from the ocean spilling in thru a break in the beach. Last time we were there it was dry. We walked down to the beach and enjoyed a short walk in the sand. We noticed there was lots of sea grass on the beach. I guess they only clean the beach during the summer and it's now into fall. Still there were plenty of people on the beach. Our daytime temperature reached over 80 degrees today. It was hot and sunny. At times it looked like the dark clouds were coming in with rain, but we didn't get any rain today. It was after 6 pm before we walked back, picking another route. We can get out of our building towards the ocean, but we don't have a key for that lock. So, we walked back using the same streets where we drove in. We did cut the corner by entering thru their garden area. Our flat has one bedroom, bath, living room, kitchen and walked out to a private patio. We have a magnetic screen door to keep the wildlife out. It even has a washing machine. No dryer, but they have a clothes line outside. I did bring a lot of laundry that is ready to wash. Will find time to do that this week. Will drive back to Cammeray tomorrow to get our mail. Mark is going to work on our taxes. We are looking forward to lots more exercise, including the gym which is only a few doors down within this complex. Thanks for your emails and messages. I know that I will be sleeping much better tonight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015