s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Charabia Surveyed

01 April 2019 | NewPort
Helen
Last night had dinner at the local Thai restaurant, taking half our food home. Our room had a fridge. We watched some tv shows and it got late and I was tired out. Mark's alarm went off at 6:30 am. He said he was already awake. I slept pretty good on their firm mattress. Cannot believe we are now into April. This year has gone by so very fast. Had cereal for breakfast. Then packed up some things and drove to Cottage Point. Don, our boat broker, was already there. He joined us on the tender ride to our boat. Got everything ready and dropped our mooring lines. Motored over to the Royal Motor Yacht Club for haul out on their marine railroad. We had to wait as a large power boat was slow to leave. It was after 9 before we got to the entrance. Today was much cooler with temperature only at 16C this morning. The breeze made it even colder. One of the marina guys had to get in the water to set the cradle under our boat. Then it was kind of a jerky ride as they pulled us up the hill. It took several minutes to get us to the right place. Bob, the surveyor got the marina to pressure wash the boat. That was really good as we had a layer of slime coated on the hulls. Our boat looked great. Bob completed the underwater checks and we were put back in the water. It was a smoother ride back and out of the cradle. We motored around to the fuel dock. Bob finished the rest of the survey checks. He took lots of pictures too. We will wait to see the results he publishes. Bob left us at the fuel dock. Don returned with us. He was kind enough to grab the mooring ball and we secured the two lines back to it. It looked like stormy weather was coming. Mark spent a few minutes loading up our second suitcase, mostly with clothes and boat items that we will take on our cruise. He called for a ride, but the tender operator told us it would be 15 minutes. It was more like half an hour. We were long ready for our ride. It started to rain too. We loaded all of us and our bags and the tender operator took us to the dock at Cottage Point. At least that was his intention when the engine failed. We were getting pretty wet and thankfully, we put garbage bags our bags. Another boat was kind enough to give us a line and took us back to a side dock. We carried everything up to the Cottage Point shops. I waited while Mark and Don headed off to their cars up the street. Mark came back and picked me up. Loaded our things in the car. It was 1:30 by the time we left. We were looking for a restaurant for a late lunch. We stopped along the way at a cafe right on the water. They had a pricey lunch menu but we didn't find anything we thought we would like to eat. They had prawns, mussels, fish, duck and lamb. So, we decided to go back to Mona Vale instead. The restaurant we were going to was closed, so we stopped at The Drawing Board cafe. Lunch was very good for both of us. We stopped for a few things at Aldis before heading back to our hotel. It was raining pretty hard. They only called for a possibility of rain today! We stopped in the reception area and added one more night to our stay. It's a great location and their price is really good. We took all our bags into our room and found that they was a leak in our bathroom. The maintenance guy came by right away and they decided to move us to another room. We had to pack up everything and move a few doors down. They were kind enough to give us two free breakfasts. Then we decided to go thru our bags and have one set up for the cruise. Stephy was kind enough to offer to keep a bag for us until our cruise. We will arrange a time to drop it off before we leave Sydney. Just about this time, we heard someone try to enter our room. I unlocked the door and someone also had a key to our room. So, the hotel staff helped out. They canceled all room keys and re-issued us another one. They apologized and offered us some wine for happy hour. We decided to take a long walk as I needed to get some more exercise. There was a small park close by and we walked down all the way to the water. We found the Princes Marina and walked down to the water too. Then walked around the lovely houses in this area to another small park and all the way to the water. Then back to the hotel, stopping first for a short visit to the Newport Gaming Room. I tried a different slot machine which more than doubled my winnings and I cashed out. Mark gave them a bit. But all in all we were up and got to eat some of their chocolates and drink a bottle of water. As we headed back to the hotel, the hotel staff told us they would deliver our wine. They gave us a whole bottle of imported red wine. So, wonderful! Then we realized that we don't have a microwave in the room, so we took our Thai leftovers down to reception and they heated them up for us. We are very happy with this hotel. Watching the Australian Dancing With the Stars tonight. Our plans are to stay thru until Wednesday. We are also waiting to see when the test sail will be scheduled. We still want to go back on the boat and clean out more. Mark did make the statement that after our haul and wash down, Charabia was moving almost a knot faster! That is great news! Thanks to all for your emails and messages. Enjoy this new month!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015