s/v Charabia

19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia
16 August 2019 | Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
15 August 2019 | Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
14 August 2019 | Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
14 August 2019 | Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
12 August 2019 | Markham, Ontario, Canada
12 August 2019 | Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
11 August 2019 | London, Ontario, Canada
09 August 2019 | London, Ontario
08 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
07 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
06 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
05 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
04 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
04 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
02 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
02 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
01 August 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake

Test Sail & Walk Through

09 April 2019 | Broklen
Last night's dinner was leftovers. It was still very tasty. We did some more research on the internet. Caught up on news. I was worn out by 8 pm and ready for bed. We ended up staying up until 9:30. Mark was sneezing some. Not sure if he's caught a cold. We both woke up around 1 am. I think we were up for quite a while. However, we must have fallen back asleep because it was 6:30 before we were woken up by the ferry going close by. Got up and had a light breakfast. We organized the bags we were taking off the boat. Did a quick clean up. We were ready with engines on by 8. Mark dropped the mooring lines. We motored across the bay to the Royal Motor Yacht Club dock. We tied up behind another sail boat in the 45 minute area. Mark took our trash bag and put it in one of the bins on the fuel dock. The weather was supposed to be nasty, so we wanted to do the sea trial early. Don, our broker, was at the marina, waiting for Jeff, the new owner and Des, his friend and good sailor, to arrive. They came on board around 9. Mark walked them thru all the tasks he does before we starting the engines. Then we untied our lines and headed out into the channel. Mark helped hoist the main sail as we were motoring into the wind. I drove. The main was double reefed and it took time to shake out the reefs. Eventually, the lines were freed and the main sail was hoisted to the top. There was light winds and at times the big hills blocked the breeze. Added the jib and we had a good sail about the area. There were some gusty breezes, but I was surprised that it was quite warm. I usually need a sweater while sailing, but I didn't need one today. Headed back to the Royal Motor Yacht Club. Then Mark walked thru all the electronics and gear. It was lunch time before we knew it. I cut up some cheese with rice crackers for a snack while we waited for Mark to finish. Don, Jeff and Des left around the boat around 2 pm. Our deal was finalized. Jeff also ended up buying our hooka underwater scuba gear. We dropped the dock lines and motored back to our mooring ball in Elvina Bay. Just got back and the heavens opened up. Thankfully, it didn't rain very long. We got our bags together and Mark called for the boat tender to pick us up and take us to the shore at Church Point. Stefan came and picked us up. Then Don met us and gave Mark a ride to our car which was parked in McCarrs Park. Don did a fabulous job on this boat sale. I waited at Church Point, with all our bags. Mark returned with our rental car and picked me up. He looked online for a hotel about an hour north. It was already getting into rush hour traffic, so it took us longer to get there. I was having a hard time staying awake on the drive. Our hotel is in Brooklyn. It is located across from a pub with a tram station and ferry dock on the other side. The Hawkesbury River goes thru here. Lots of water and boats. There were plenty of commuters in the area. We checked in and then carried our bags up the steps to our hotel room. Since we missed out on lunch, Mark was wanting to walk over to the pub and have an early dinner. The only issue was that they didn't start dinner until 5:30. Mark had an sg&t of CC & Ginger which was served out of a beer tap. Not something you see every day. They also had a small gaming room. I was up some and was going to quit but Mark said we still had another 15 minutes to kill before we could order dinner. So, I gave them some money. We ordered a pizza and it is the first really good one we have had in Australia. Mark had been sneezing all day. He is coming down with something. Good time for us to find a place and get some rest. Will get out some of my oils and let them do their healing work on Mark. I'll put some on me, too, so I don't catch what he has. Thanks for the emails and messages. We are not planning on staying up too late. We are both tired out. Our sea trial & boat walk-thru went very well. The contract will be finalized by the 18th. We are very happy for Jeff, Charabia's new owner!
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015