s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Barrenjoey Light House Again

17 April 2019 | NewPort
Helen
We met our boat broker, Don, at The Newport to sign papers. We each had a drink to celebrate our boat sale. Enjoyed our visit with Don. He visited all the places we are about to head to, but 20 years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. Mark handed over the second set of boat keys. Our sailboat, Charabia, has been sold, closing is tomorrow. Jeff, the new owner, will be sailing her up north in another month. Watched some tv and listened to some online shows last night. Finally got to sleep after 11 pm. Mark spotted some water that had spilled in front of our room fridge. Apparently, we hadn't set the fridge to a higher temperature. We had a bag of ice from the Hyatt, which ended up melting in the warm freezer area and spilled over. I helped Mark clean up the excess water as he upped the temperature. I know it was plenty cold when I put a few things in from our cooler bag. We both slept okay. I could hear lots of water running from the other rooms' showers. That woke me up early. There are many more rooms occupied with the Easter holiday approaching. Decided to sleep later but didn't fall back asleep. Mark turned on the morning tv news show to get the latest news. Actually, the hotel wifi is pretty good. We enjoyed a light breakfast. Then showered and got dressed. Mark suggested heading to the Barrenjoey Lighthouse. We had climbed the big hill with David a while ago. The weather was perfect. It was sunny with a high temperature of 25 today. It took us almost half an hour to drive there from our hotel. We decided to walk up on the longer path instead of the stairs. It was a lengthy walk. The sale of our boat had finally sunk in. Mark was actually feeling sad today. We stopped along our climb to take pictures as well as catch our breath. We enjoyed the views from the top. Check out my Facebook for all the pictures I posted. Mark commented on the fact that the lighthouse was built in 1880 but it didn't look like the exterior had aged at all. It was in great shape. Not sure if anyone lives in the lighthouse as it has a residential section. There were some people gardening at the top. We could see heads of people walking the trails out to the end of the point. We didn't have enough time to do that. Mark checked on wifi and there was no mention of any maintenance on the outside of the lighthouse structure. It has survived for a very long time. We only paid for an hour's worth of parking so we climbed back down using the steps. It was the shorter path and much faster. We drove from the Barrenjoey Lighthouse to Avalon Beach and met David for lunch. Lunch was at Sabiang Thai restaurant. We sat outside and ,for once, didn't have to shoo away the flies. Not sure where my head was, but I completely forgot to take any pictures our lunch. We had a good visit with David. He just returned from his Camino de Santiago walk in Spain. After lunch, we drove back to the hotel. It was the hottest part of our day and we thought about getting into the hotel pool. On the way we stopped at the Newport Beach and took a lovely beach walk. There were a good number of people swimming in the ocean. Also, lots of people on surf boards. More people laying on the beach with the school holiday. Once we returned to the hotel, we got into our swim suits and walked down to the pool and hot tub. The water was very cold. Mark actually got in the water and swam a lap back and forth. Then he pulled me in. It was extremely cold and I scratched my small toe on the edge of the stairs. I thought it was bleeding, but just got scraped. We got into the hot tub which was warm enough with good powerful jets. So, our muscles got a massage. Showered off at the toilets by the pool. Then headed back up to our room. Watched some tv, including a game show with lots of trivia called Think Tank. It was interesting. Mark would have done well as he knew most of the correct answers. We had a light dinner and walked over to The Newport pokey room. Mark came out even while I gave them a few dollars. We could see a very large moon in the night sky on our walk back across the street. There are supposed to be some meteorites visible in the sky in the early morning, over the next few days. Not sure if we will be getting up early or not. Would have to set an alarm. Thanks for your emails and messages. Good to hear from you. Our plan is to return our rental car to budget tomorrow. We are renting another car, but from Hertz, this time as their price was so much better. We will get the new car, then both of us drive back to Budget. We plan to drive part way to Adelaide, tomorrow. It's about a 5-hour drive to Wagga Wagga where we plan to stay overnight. This will begin our long drive to Uluru!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015