s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Wagga Wagga to Tooleybuc

19 April 2019 | Tooleybuc
Helen
Watched two movies last night as the hotel tv had a movie channel. So, we didn't get to bed until almost midnight. Lots of noise from fellow guests, with kids screaming and running in the hallway, woke me up. Could not fall back asleep so I caught up on wifi. Mark slept a bit longer. Got up and showered and had breakfast. Then got ready and packed things and carried them out to the car. Mark used a small roller cart to help. Checked out of the hotel around 9:30. There were a lot less cars on the road. Lots of open farm lands. Some had animals, mostly sheep. Plus we saw some crops. We think one of the popular crops was cotton. We also saw one grape farm, some sugar cane and some sort of small fruit trees. We traveled on the Sturt Hiway for most of today. It was only a two lane road with speeds up to 110K. They didn't really have many areas with an extra lane for passing, so everyone was just passing. Mark tried to stay at the speed limit as they like to add cameras for ticketing and for the holiday the fines are doubled. We stopped for fuel in a tiny town but we passed on the food sold in their small restaurant. Mark found a cafe a little further into the town of Hay. They posted a sign saying 'where the hell is Hay?'. It was pretty busy and the food was good at the Aussie & Thai Take Away cafe. We didn't see as many dead roos on the side. However, a few of them had some vulture like birds feeding on their carcasses. The sky was full of a white layer for most of the day. It was plenty hot. Our high temperature reached 29C today. We did see some blue sky at times. Their cloud formations are really different here. Then each time we stopped, I noticed the small flies would rush over and try to land on my face. I really didn't like that too much. We should have used some bug spray. We followed the Yanga Way, which is the name of another small highway, about 40 kilometers before Tooeybuc. They had a small rest stop without any toilets that stated that we had to trash any fruit we were carrying or be charged. I just bought some grapes and they were on the list. We also had an orange in our cooler bag. So, we stopped our car and ate our fruit. If anyone would have told me they had a law banning fruit being brought into this area, I would not have bought any yesterday. They said the farmers were not using any pesticides and they didn't want any fruit flies coming in on fruit. It really made no sense to me. It doesn't look like there is much of anything here. We did drive by their local sports club and saw some caravans parked around there as they offered free parking. However, with Good Friday, the club was closed thru the day and will open for dinner. We plan to head over shortly. We noticed a river close by and there were several tents of campers on the banks. It turned out that was the Murray River and we are very close to the next state of Victoria. The Murray River is the border between New South Wales and Victoria. We checked into the Tooeybuc Country Roads motor inn around 4 pm. We are watching a couple of Aussie trivia shows. Thanks for all the emails and messages received today. Hope everyone enjoys this holiday weekend. Just wanted to end today's blog wishing my sister, Chris, a special happy birthday!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015