s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

koalas, Kangaroos & Lookout

20 April 2019 | Adelaide
Helen
After posting the blog last evening, we drove over to the Tooleybuc Sports Club around 6 pm. There was a huge flock of white birds that were swirling around the trees near the sports club. They were quite noisy as they took their perch in the high tree branches as we walked in. Dinner had just started. Mark had the fish and chips while I had some baked cauliflower and rice. Not the best meal. Mark said his meal was okay. There were quite a few people in their dining room. We each played some pokey machine, but did not have any luck. I started playing their roulette machine and my stomach started to hurt. It may have been from the green grapes I ate before discarding them at the quarantine bin. Also, I only ate cooked veggies & rice for dinner. Not sure what that was about, but Mark played my numbers and they did not come in. So, we both gave up. We decided to take a walk around the area. Nothing else was open. There was some noise at the house next to our hotel. We walked over to the bridge at the edge of Tooleybuc. Someone told us earlier that the bridge went over the famous Murray river. It was a one lane bridge. There must never have been a time when they had a huge rush hour and needed to wait on the bridge, or they would have doubled it by now. It was not that far across to the other side. We got to see the beautiful full moon on our walk! At least we felt like we got some exercise after sitting in the car most of the day. We walked back to the hotel. Watched some tv. One movie was Evan Almighty and another was Days of Thunder with Tom Cruise. Not sure if we watched the whole movie. Mark set the alarm for 7 and we got to bed by 11 pm. We had to add some heat when we got back to the room. It made a very loud noise each time it started up. It was not easy to sleep as it kept up the racket all night long. Our alarm woke us at 7. Had breakfast, showered and got dressed. Carried out our bags and packed them in the car. Mark checked us out. We left around 8. We first drove over the one-lane Murray River Bridge as we headed further west from Tooleybuc. We crossed into the state of Victoria. The roads were less busy today. We would go many kilometers before seeing any traffic on the other side of our two-lane hiway. We didn't have to pass very many other cars along the road. The towns were few and far between on our drive. We saw several crops, including grains and fruit. Some vineyards along the way and other fruits, but we didn't know what they were. We saw more cattle and sheep farms, too. The land was very flat, but as we traveled we saw more hills. It was around 32C today. We stopped for a break at a gas station. Our fuel cost $1.43/litre in Aussie dollars. Mark got a coffee. At least they had nice clean toilets. I cannot believe all the rest stops that don't have any. Then the rest of the small stops that only have two port-o-potty type toilets. It doesn't make me want to stop. So, much better to find a cafe. We actually had to stop at some road bumps on the hiway at a Quarantine Station. Both sides of the road had to stop and get checked out. They took a look in our trunk and cooler bag. We didn't have any fruits or vegetables. If we did have any, they would have fined us. This may have been the border to South Australia. At least, we did not remember seeing a Welcome sign! At one point we could see quite a wide Murray River as we followed it around and eventually crossed over it on a huge bridge. We drove to a lookout and we could see the river in the distance, but not much more. Shortly, after, we stopped for a late lunch at Sazon Expresso Cafe in Mt. Barker. We both enjoyed our selections. Then we took a walk around the town. Mark bought us another usb cable for the car as one of the two others was not charging our phones. Then we drove the rest of the way to Adelaide. We checked into the Majestic Minima motel. We parked in their underground area and took our bags to our room. Our room is quite lovely and looks brand new. Then all of a sudden, I remembered that I took my sweater off at the restaurant. Mark said that I should just buy another one, but this particular sweater has been part of our adventure and not something I wanted to lose. Mark called the restaurant and they had my sweater so we drove back there to get it. On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at the lookout area of Mt. Lofty Summit. It was a beautiful spot. We could see across to downtown Adelaide and the ocean beyond. We walked down one of the trails leading to the waterfalls. However, it was 4:30 and we didn't have enough time before the park closed, so we walked back up and decided to drive around there. On our walk to the car, we passed two trees with koala bears high up. One was pretty young and wide away eating. The other one was sleeping. We drove down and around to the waterfalls, but the parking lot was still 2K from the falls and they had a nature park, but again, we didn't have enough time. On the walk back to the car, we spotted two kangaroos, feeding off to the side of the trees. Someone had left the park and dumped the food pellets on the ground and they were happily eating it. I didn't want to go close to them, but the next group out surely did. They still have some food for them. What a sight! We returned to our hotel. Then decided to ask the hotel staff for a suggestion for dinner. They recommended the pub at the corner. Mark's chicken burger and fries were pretty spicy. I just had some cooked vegetables for my dinner. We did spend a few minutes in their pokey room afterwards. Mark cashed out $20 up while I gave them a few dollars. We took a lovely walk around our hotel area, stretching our legs with some more exercise. Lots of shops close by, but only a few open with the holiday. However, most of the restaurants and cafes were open. We came upon another pub with a pokey machine. I was able to recoup my previous losses as my machine paid out. It's so much nicer when we win! Walked back to the hotel. We started watching a movie we had seen a long time ago, called, Dolphin Tail. I think we were both exhausted from our long drive today. We will stay here for two nights. That will give us time to do some touring in Adelaide. We have noticed that the gas stations have fuel prices equal to Sydney on this holiday spike. Thanks for all the Easter wishes in emails and messages. Enjoy the holiday weekend!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015