s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

UFOs & Missing Pictures

27 April 2019 | Tennants Creek
Helen
We spent the evening researching our next stop. Mark found us our route plus a hotel in Tennant Creek. Then we watched some tv including the movie, Arthur. I had remembered seeing it before and the ending was not very good. So, we gave up and listened to Scott Adams' Youtube. It was around 11 pm by the time we got to sleep. I did not sleep that well, waking up and being wide awake for a while. We finally got up around 7 am. Had a quick breakfast and packed up the car. We picked up a few groceries at Coles. Mark wanted to check out the car's oil and other things under the hood. There were a lot of aboriginal people over at the small mall. Found everything on our list and packed them into the car. We drove to the top of the hill to check out their Anzac Memorial. Great views of Alice Springs. Then we continued driving north, still in Northern Territory. There were plenty of clouds in the sky. The terrain was hilly until we got well north of Alice Springs. Then we were back to the reddish soil with scrub vegetation and some bigger bushes and a few trees. There were signs for Cattle crossing but we didn't see any. We didn't see any animal carcasses along the hiway today. The morning was cool, around 18C. The clouds were thick and looked like they could rain at any time. In fact, we saw a few drips on the windscreen, but it did not last long. We stopped for gas after a couple hours of driving. We didn't have enough fuel to get to our destination and gas stations were at a minimum as there really don't have much to offer along this hiway. There was a small lunch counter but it was around 11 and too early for lunch. We drove another 100 kilometers to Barrows Creek. Topped up our tank with $1.90 unleaded fuel and thankfully only needed half a tank's worth. Big disappointment was that their lunch cafe was closed. The owner had car problems since Thursday, so no one was available to cook lunch. I have to tell you that there is nothing in these little towns. Each time we got out of the car, we had to deal with the large number of flies that want to land on our skin. We did see a few farms. In one of the tiny towns, there was at least one winery and I saw some grapes in the field. We had to drive further to find another place for lunch. We snacked on nuts, pretzels and granola bars. We eventually stopped at a town called, Wycliffe Well, which is known for some UFO sightings. They had many posters from newspaper articles. I just checked my photos and all of the ones I took today are missing. Mark will check and see if they somehow got deleted but are still in the camera memory. It is probably time to empty off my phone photos anyway. We had some bacon and egg toasties. Mark paid $5 for some coffee out of an automated machine, but he said it was not good. We found a very interesting place, in the middle of nowhere. It was called Devil's Marbles. There was the flat countryside with strangely placed huge rocks that did look like marbles from a distance. We parked with a few other tourist and I really wanted to sit on one of the rocks and do a meditation. However, we had our fly nets on, but they coated my arms and legs...a little difficult to relax with that going on. We walked around some of the rocks and talked to a lady from Switzerland. She said that tea tree oil was good to put on our skin and the flies would stay away. Not sure I have any, but I have eucalyptus oil that we will use next time. We arrived at Tennant Creek around 3:30 pm. There is a small town here. We saw lots of businesses, houses and shops along Stuart Hirway which is the hiway that we are driving on. Mark checked us in as I was afraid to get out into the flies. We drove around back and got our room at the Goldfield Motel. Unloaded things from the car, swatting at flies that collected as soon as we got out of the car. We only have free wifi if we go into their cafe or bar area. So, we are using our Telstra cell to post today. Mark found an RSL club a few streets over so we decided to take a walk and get some exercise. Yes, we wore our fly nets on top of our hats. We also put on some oils but it was either not enough or the flies didn't mind it too much. We walked past several businesses and churches. Mark used Google maps and found the RSL club along with a fenced off memorial site in front. We signed in as guests. Mark had an sg&t of Jim Beam & coke, already mixed in a can. I stuck to water. Then we decided to try our luck on the pokeys. We played for a good length of time and each cashed out a few dollars up. We walked back with the flies. That sort of discourages us from being out in the open. It was plenty breezy and not that hot after 5 pm. The only way the flies disappear is when it gets dark. We passed lots of locals on the street and most of them were friendly and said hi. They were all dealing with the flies. We walked back to our motel room. Trying to figure out where we stopped today. Mark was researching tomorrow's drive. It will be much longer than today. Hopefully, there will be someplace we can stay at the end of the day. Our high today reached 28. With the sun shining in our car, it felt a lot hotter. The weather map on the news said that Sydney was cooler at 23C. Thanks for the many emails and messages received today. It will take us at least 4 more days to drive out to the coast of Queensland.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015