s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Beaches, Shopping & Hot tub

09 May 2019 | Surfers Paradise
Helen
We each had an sg&t on the balcony watching the sunset. The view to the west was over several high rise buildings plus a river. Very orange sky. I was so very cold. For some reason I could not warm up. I found an extra blanket and wrapped it around me. We snacked on pretzels as we watched some tv. We watched one of the recent Star Wars movies, but we both lost interest. Listened to some Youtube channels before heading to bed by 10 pm. I did not sleep well. I woke up and could not fall back asleep. Thankfully, we slept in till after 7. Took our time getting up. Watched the morning news shows over breakfast. Made plans and booked our next hotel. Also, made a few phone calls. At 10 am we exited our room and headed down to the parking garage below. Took the car over to Bum's Bay, which is actually called Marine Stadium and parked at Moondarewa Spit. We walked the beach along the channel and around to where we had anchored back in November. Enjoyed our walk. The white beach and clear pale blue waters reminded us of the Bahamas. We headed back to our car and drove over to Australia Fair Shopping Mall, which was another favorite of ours when we previously boated in this area. We took our dinghy down the channel to a pier and walked over to the mall. We started with lunch and then walked around some. We stopped at Woolworths to get a few groceries before heading back to our car in the 3-hour free parking garage. We drove back to our hotel. Put on our swimsuits and got some dry towels at the reception area. Then walked over to the Surfers Paradise Beach. We actually both got in the water and joined several others as the waves crashed to shore. I didn't go out as far as Mark did. He didn't stay out too long and body surfed back towards me. The water was cold at the start, but our bodies acclimated to the cooler temperature. We headed back to our towels and dried off. Then we took a long walk in the same direction as yesterday. The sand was nice and soft. At times, our feet made a squeaky noise as we walked, which reminded me of Pensacola. Lots of people on the beach today. The sand was nice and soft and we walked with our feet in the water most of the time. Then headed back and collected our towels and flip flops and walked the short block back to our hotel. We spent some time in the hotel hot tub with a New Zealand family who were also staying in this hotel. The jets were not as powerful as yesterday, which was better. We sat on a chaise lounge for a short while. The sun was very hot and we gave up. Yes, we had our sunscreen on today. Took the elevator back up to our floor. We got out of our wet clothes and showered. We had a short rest. Then decided to take a walk along our street. There were many buildings and some shops. We were surprised at the number of stores that were empty. Not sure if they went out of business. There were not that many tourists around. Yes, there were some restaurants. We found one that advertised a gaming room. We tried our luck and end up giving them a few dollars. Then we continued walking up the street. We got a good walk in, which was nice. Then we headed back to our room. Enjoyed an sg&t on our balcony as we watched today's sunset. We had some rice crackers and cheese and hummus. The sky was colored in bright orange. So very beautiful. They also had some blue lights around our swimming pool. There was a cool breeze and I actually put on a sweater. Then we added a light dinner. I started a load of laundry. I could get used to having a washer and dryer once again. Watching some regular tv shows. Mark really loves the one called Bondi Rescue. It is interesting. All about the lifeguards experience helping swimmers or surfers in trouble. We are planning to get an early start tomorrow. We will make a stop in Byron Bay and Lismore before stopping over night further south. We have not spent any time in this area. Thanks for the many emails and messages. We are always so happy to hear some news from back home!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015