s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Arrived in Dubai

04 June 2019 | Dubai
Helen
Slept thru until after 8 am. There were hundreds of huge ships out on the water. Mark counted 22 at one sighting. He said there were even more when he looked out with his binoculars. Lots of the freighters were at anchor. We got dressed and headed to the dining room for breakfast. We shared our table with one lady. She was on the cruise by herself as her room mate had to cancel due to health reasons. We had a very nice conversation with her. I would not want to sail by myself but she didn't seem to mind. For some reason, the dining room had short hours for breakfast today. We were not yet in Dubai. We got our walking in on Deck 7 and could just see a bit of the skyline in the distance. It was already hot in the sun. It was promising to be a very hot day. The pilot boat pulled close to our ship to deliver the pilot. We headed back to our cabin. By this time we were close to the dock in Dubai. Very hazy. Someone told us it was dust in the air from the desert. We went out to the front of our ship and watched the ship enter the port. Lots of huge buildings in the distance. The QE2 ship was already in the port. We watched the movie, The Fugitive. I remembered the movie, but not the ending. They finally made a ship announcement that the boat was cleared. We had picked up our selected number for getting off the ship. Then headed to Deck 14 Lido, for lunch. All the tables were full, so we shared with a couple from NZ who were on the ship for their first world cruise. They had already visited Dubai and had some suggestions. We went back to our cabin and waited for them to call our numbers. It didn't take too long. We headed down and eventually got off the ship. Everyone had to get off and clear immigration even if they were not planning to go ashore. We sat in the terminal and downloaded some app updates with their free wifi. They had a few shops open and we checked them out. Then decided to check out the price of some of the tours in town. We also got the price from the cab drivers to take us to Abu Dahbi tomorrow. We found out that it was only around $15 to take us to the Dubai Shopping Mall. So, off we headed to town. So many huge buildings. The mall was very large. There were three floors. In one section, they had a waterfalls on both sides of the building. We walked thru the mall looking for the dancing fountains. Then found out that the fountains are turned on at certain times each night and the first one was at 6 pm. So, we walked around the mall and headed out at that time. They played a song and the fountains danced to the music. It was most impressive with the tallest building in the world behind them. We thought about taking a tour of the tower, but was told that there were always long lines. It would be after dark before we could get to the top. The visibility was so poor, not sure what we could have seen. Also, it cost more the higher up you go. We could not believe how many people were in the shopping mall. Lots of families. Lots of men wearing all different colored tunics. We saw many single young men. Lots of familiar restaurants including Tim Hortons, Five Guys and PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory and Red Lobster, to name a few. We decided we were tired enough and grabbed a cab back to the ship. As we drove thru the city, we saw McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy fast food restaurants. It was almost 7 pm when we got back on board. Mark had to change into slacks so we could eat in the dining room. We were late for our seating time, but we were told it would be 'any time' dining tonight. We had a table to ourselves and the dining room was very empty. We each enjoyed a steak dinner. Then headed back to our cabin to relax. We are watching Bohemian Rhapsody on the tv in our cabin. Our tv has lost all the news channels. We will have to rely on the internet for our news. Thanks for the many emails and messages. We will be checking out Ferrari World tomorrow in Abu Dhabi.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015