s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Ashore in Warnemude/Rostock - 06/27/19

27 June 2019 | Warnemunde, Germany
Helen
Slept in today, since we stayed up until 1:30 am to see our ship go under the biggest bridge outside of China. This one connects Sweden to Denmark. It was nicely lit up and it really looked like we would not have any clearance. Plus we were moving fast. We headed to bed very late. Slept thru until 8 am and we were already tied to the dock in Warnemunde. Went back to sleep until around 9 am. Got up and dressed and headed to Deck 14, Lido for breakfast. After breakfast, we headed back to our cabin to get ready to head to shore. Walked down the gang plank around 10 am. We took a cab ride into Rostock. It took almost an hour to get there with heavy traffic and long delays thru the lights along the way. The driver mistook our destination and dropped us close to the market square. It cost 30 Euros for the ride. We walked around the downtown area. Visited their multi floor shopping mall. Mark bought some new runners. I found a couple of sweaters as I really did not pack any for this trip. I was thinking that summer meant warm weather. However, today was really cold with a high of 19C. Took a tour of the Zeitgeschichte which was the highest guard tower that they used for 800 years to protect the city. It was a totally walled in city, but not much of the wall remains. We were given a small binder with English translations of some of the artifacts in the tower. We saw lots of beautifully architecture in this city. We stopped for a snack along the way as it was after lunch by the time we finished walking around. We tried to find a taxi, but could not find any. We asked at one of the hotels but their taxi station was empty. Then Mark asked at the Information Center and was told to just take the tram to the train station. He bought us tickets for less than 3 Euros each and we walked over to the tram. Then we found the right platform at the train station. Our waits were short which was nice. The tram looked brand new. The train too. There were at least half a dozen stops before we got to Warnemunde. Then we walked around this town too. There were many buildings which housed shops along both sides of the water channel. We saw many large ships and several sailboats tied up along the edge. There were crowds of people, mostly speaking German, who were also tourists visiting this seaside city. We decided the cold breeze was too much for a walk out to the ocean, so we headed back towards our ship. We stopped and Mark enjoyed a German beer while I had an ice cream cone. Lots of people around. Some were from our Sea Princess, while others were from the Celebrity Silhouette, which is docked behind us. We decided to skip the dining room dinner and went to the Corniche Cafe for pizza. We tried it before and it was just as tasty this time. After dinner, we headed back to our cabin. Then headed to the Princess Theater for the Warnemunde-Rostock Brass Band performance. The local entertainers put on a wonderful show. At the end we spent some time visiting with Owen, from Brisbane, who we had met before. We walked on Deck 7 before heading up to Deck 12 for some popcorn for Mark. Took some more pictures which I will post on Facebook. Our ship leaves around 11 pm. The sun is still a couple of hours from setting, but I can see some colors in the sky. We have a day at sea before arriving at the next port in Riga, Latvia. Thanks for your emails and messages. Enjoy your day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015