s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Queen Mary 2 - Sea Day - 09/18/19

18 July 2019 | North Atlantic
Helen
Up around 7:30. Watched some tv and took our time getting dressed. Decided to try out the dining room for breakfast today. Headed to Deck 2 and got a seat at a table with 6 other passengers, all from the UK. Enjoyed our breakfast, although they did not scramble my eggs long enough for my liking. By this time, I was not wanting to eat anything else. Lots of good conversations from everyone. After breakfast was over, we tried to walk around outside, but it was too cold and wet. The high today was only 14C. It was raining lightly when we were up on Deck 13. We did not stay very long. None of the deck chairs were out. The seas were very lumpy. Mark guessed that the waves were around 8 foot. It was definitely a choppy sea day. I was ever so glad that we were not sailing in Charabia. We are getting much closer to Iceland, having just passed thru the Iceland Basin area of the North Atlantic. The depths here are well over a mile. No, we have not seen any ice bergs. Apparently, when we stay overnight in Reykjavik, we then depart around 2 pm. That is earlier than scheduled due to ice berg sightings on our original route to Canada. We walked around more of the ship today. I am still not finding my way around very well. We didn't walk the deck as it was raining and much too cold here. We attended today's lecture from Margaret Gilmore on Reporting Terrorism, Writing History. It was most interesting as she documented a lot of the terrorist acts especially in London back in July 7, 2005. There was Britain's version of 9/11. We decided to have lunch in an alternate restaurant so we selected the pub called the Golden Lion. The tables were full but there were a few chairs at the bar, so we took a seat. Mark ordered the fish and chips and I had a chicken dish. Then we shared a dessert. Mark tried one of the drafts they had on tap. There was someone playing songs on the piano, which were all familiar songs. They asked if we had any requests to write them on a paper. I asked Mark to suggest the theme for the Titanic movie by Celine Dion, but he wouldn't. After lunch, we headed back to our cabin. Watched some tv and then took a nap. Mark was complaining that his sinus were bothering him today. We both slept soundly. I actually had a dream where Mark and I were competing against each other and he went in one direction and I went in another. I was the winner. He didn't care for my dream. We showered and got ready for tonight's dinner at 6 pm in the Britannia Restaurant. Terry and Sheila were already at the table when we got there. John and Nancy arrived after soon after. We had a lovely dinner together. I selected the vegetable entree while Mark had veal entree. After dinner, we went back to our cabin since it was too early for tonight's show. The sun was finally shining and the seas looked much calmer than during the day. At least it was clearer on the horizon. We headed down to the Royal Court Theater for the Duo Bolshakov 'In Above The Sky' performance. Alexey and Anastasia, from Moscow, entertained us and received a lot of standing ovations for their brilliant acrobatic duo show. After the show, we visited Deck 7 for some self serve ice cream and a hot drink. Mark had coffee and I found some hot chocolate. We stopped by the Queens Room to watch the ship's orchestra playing ball room dancing music. They added a singer when we got there. Lots of people on the dance floor. They have several paid dancers to keep the ladies on the dance floor. It was interesting to see. We stopped briefly at the roulette wheel but my numbers did not get selected. Headed back to our cabin and am working on today's blog entry. We are watching a movie. It's plenty light outside. No land in sight yet. The sun sets late in this part of the world. Mark thinks it will be light all night long. Thanks to everyone for your emails and messages. Our ship will be docked in Iceland when we wake up. Mark is setting the alarm to get up early. We fall back one hour with tonight's time change. We are looking forward to our time ashore.

Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015