s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Reykjavik Day 2 - 07/20/19

20 July 2019 | North Atlantic
Helen
Woke up early and finally convinced Mark to get up. Watched some tv. We were at the dock as we stayed overnight in Reykjavik. Got dressed and headed to Deck 7, Lido for breakfast. Decided to eat some fruit, cereal and yogurt today. Mark had an omelet with some sides. Headed back to our room. Started watching the Dumbo movie. It was entertaining. By 10, we decided to get off the ship and take the shuttle bus into downtown Reykjavik. No line up to get off today. We walked over to the bus and it left right away. It was sunny today. The breeze is still a bit cold. We had our jackets with us, so that helped when the wind piped up. Not sure what the building was called, but it had an unusual all-glass shape right on the water. We could have paid money to take the tour, but we rode up to the 5th floor and was able to get a great view of the city from there. They also had free wifi, so we got caught up on emails and Facebook and made some calls. It was early, so many of your phones were off. There was a great view of the sailboats in a marina in behind it. While catching up on the internet, a young couple came over to tell us that they both attended Rice University and were thrilled to see us wearing Rice caps! I asked them if they were on one of the two ships in port. They were enjoying a vacation in Iceland with families. We thanked them for coming over! By lunch time, we walked over a few blocks to the downtown area. They had a Flea Market and tented shops on the street. Checked out many of the shops. Things are expensive in Iceland. Took pictures of some of the beautiful unique buildings. Some were obviously built hundreds of years ago, but the rest of the downtown was very modern. The population was around 600,000. We walked back to the shuttle drop off. Mark thought we waited for about 15 minutes but I thought it was not a long wait before we headed to the dock. It was after 1pm when we got back to the ship. The lineup to board was horrendous. We were told that because the tide had dropped, they had to dismantle the lower boarding ramp. I have to think that the staff on the Queen Mary II knew what the tide situation would be at any hour of the day. They could have planned our timing a bit better so everyone did not need to queue up yet again. We finally boarded the Queen Mary II and headed to our cabin. Dropped off our jackets, hats and sun glasses and then headed up for a late lunch on Deck 7, Lido. I had some cooked veggies and a very tasty chicken fajita. Mark had some beef and a few sides. We each had some self-serve ice cream with a piece of cake. Then we took a glass of water back to our cabin. Our daily schedule highlighted a live band, Purple Haze, would be playing for our sail away. It was after 2 pm when we left the dock. Lots of people were out on deck. We took pictures along with everyone else, as we worked out way to Deck 13. Just as the ship motored thru the harbor, it started to rain lightly. So, we ended up heading back to our covered balcony. With the rain came some much colder winds out on deck. We showered and planned to take a nap, or at least we tried to take a nap. Instead, we got interested in the movie, Mr. Church. We didn't get to see the end as it was time to head to dinner. The good thing is that our tv channels run the same movies over thru the day, so we will watch the end tonight. Met up with Terry, Sheila, John and Nancy for dinner tonight. Our dining service is still very slow. I ordered the chicken and asked for extra vegetables. The chicken dinner came with rice and spinach and it was just warm, not hot. Then I ate some of the vegetables and they were cold. I was not thrilled. I did not want to put in another order to get hotter food. I mixed the vegetables under my rice and it warmed them up some. Mark had the beef dinner. The show tonight is with some singers and the ship's band. We missed the first show at 7, since we were still at dinner. Decided to skip the show. We tried our luck at the casino, but neither of our numbers were selected. We headed up to Deck 13, once again, to the protected area at the front of the ship, and Mark got an updated position on our Garmin. Sent out a few text messages. We are saving our expensive wifi minutes for the blog updates. The seas are relatively flat. When we were leaving, we could see a mountain in the distance that was ice capped. Such beautiful scenic views in this country. Thanks for your emails and messages. We have three days at sea before arriving in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada. Enjoy the weekend!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015