s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Queen Mary 2 Sea Day - 07/25/19

25 July 2019 | North Atlantic
Helen
Enjoyed an extra half hour of sleep as our clocks moved back again last night. We headed up to Deck 7, Lido, just around 11 pm and there was no food or desserts available. Only drinks. So, that was a good thing as we didn't have to eat anything so late in the day. We got to bed a little bit earlier last night. Woke up around 7. We watched some tv before getting dressed. Headed up to Deck 7, Lido, for breakfast. I have been sticking with fresh fruit and cereal. Mark had an omelet. We both had some orange juice and water. After breakfast, we came back to our cabin and got our jackets, hats and sun glasses. I also took my gloves. Mark took our Garmin to Deck 13 to let it get a fix. It was foggy outside. Then we walked several laps around the ship. By the time we were done, I had taken off my gloves and Mark took off his jacket. We kept up a very fast pace. Lots of other passengers were out walking as well. Headed back to our cabin. Watched some tv and relaxed. It continued to be foggy for the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon too. Our ship sounded their fog horn several times. We went thru all the choices of things to do today. We decided to listen to a lecture by Alex Gregory, who was an Olympic rower. It was titled, An Arctic Adventure. He was joined by 5 other guys in a bid to row a small boat far North of the arctic circle. It was a successful trip that almost ended in disaster as they attempted to get back to Iceland and had to deal with bad weather. We thought about going to the main dining room for lunch today. Our Daily Program advertised a chocolate fountain and ice carvings on Deck 7, Lido, so that's where we had lunch. I had mostly cooked vegetables, but had to try out some of the chocolate offerings. They had rice crispy squares on sticks, which I added chocolate to from the fountain. They also offered Godiva chocolates and other chocolate balls and squares. Yum! We enjoyed a conversation with a young lady from Germany. She was close to finishing high school and spoke English very well. There is a huge number of Germans on board this ship. Whenever they make announcements, they make them in English first and then in German. We were wondering why this British ship would have to translate to German. After lunch, we decided to try our luck in today's Roulette tournament. We each played $100 worth of chips, three times. The first time, we didn't do well. The second time, I actually had the high score. Then on the third round, Mark knocked me out of first place. We had a sound lead over the other players. We headed forward to the game tables for a round of Scrabble to await the 3 pm final round to see if we were still on the leader board. No one beat our scores, so we were both happy to be in the finals. Mark selected the green chips, which is always a lucky color for me. We once more received $100 in chips, which required us to play 20 chips each round. Some players used up more than that number, hoping to win big right away, only to lose all their chips. The guy next to me had two large wins with the same number spun back to back. I thought he had the win. I was able to win some in the third round. Then in the 4th, I had 10 chips on 11 which paid off big time. Mark also won, but didn't have as many chips as me. Then before the last round, they count everyone's chips and note them, just in case everyone loses in the last round. Mark and I had lots of extra chips. I spread some around on the numbers that the other contestants selected. I also put a lot of chips on my favorite 7 & 11. My lucky 7 hit, so Mark and I had a huge win. Mark put even more chips on this number and beat my $1200 score by $60 and won the $200 jackpot! I could not believe that we each have won a roulette tournament on this cruise!
We headed back to our cabin. Then decided to return and play some more roulette as they offered 50 cent chips on this sea day. Neither of us did very well as we were playing on a different table with a different dealer. It was still fun playing! We joined the 4 pm lecture from Jonathan Crass, titled, Exploring the Solar System. It was an enjoyable lecture on all the space ships that were sent to Mars and beyond. We did notice that the sun finally came out and cleared up the fog. Our temperature remained around 15C with very flat seas. After the lecture was over, we headed back to our cabin. We both showered and got ready for the Gala evening dress up. We joined John, Nancy, Terry and Sheila. It was our last dinner with John & Nancy from Perry Sound, Ontario, as they will disembark tomorrow. We headed back to our cabin and then decided to attend tonight's Entertainment show with the Royal Court Theater singers and dancers. We enjoyed the sights and sounds of Latin America songs. Once it was done, we headed back to our cabin. We are posting the blog. Mark is working on getting our mail forwarded, plus other finances.
We just heard a ship announcement about an emergency on our starboard side of the ship. Not sure what that is all about. Mark thought they said something about a fire. It was a first aid response due to a small incinerator fire. The captain then announced that everything was resolved and there was no action required from us. Tomorrow, we will be in Halifax, Nova Scotia by 8 am. My sister, Elizabeth and her husband, Steve, will pick us up early. We plan to spend the day together touring Nova Scotia. Hoping for a perfect weather day. Thanks for your emails and messages. Enjoy your day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015