s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Back in Canada - 07/30/19

31 July 2019 | Niagara-on-the-Lake
Helen
Woke up around 7. Both of us showered and got dressed. Mark started his day by trying to contact the online banking at Bank of America. However, they did not have any support until 8 am. We decided to take a break and have breakfast. Cut up some fresh fruit to go with our cereal. Erin returned from her early morning gym session. She planned to work from home this morning. We worked on packing and getting ready to leave. Mark eventually connected with the support team and was able to determine his laptop was installing an update and had disabled a part of the password system. He got everything working. Then he called one of our storage units and found out that our payment did go thru for this month. My Discover account is on hold until they get our payment. I tried to use my credit card when we were on the Queen Mary II in Halifax, but they rejected my card. All the foreign countries that we visited would only take Visa, so I haven't been using that card. We finally got our bags packed away in the Jeep. We said our good byes and headed north, around 10 am. We worked our way thru Connecticut to Massachusetts and then into New York state. We traveled around 200 miles on the New York State Thruway and it only cost $15.30. We made a couple of stops, one for lunch and one to top up our fuel. We loved the sights along the way of the Erie Canal. It reminded us of our departure from Canada in 1994, on board our sailboat, Lady H. Our gps routed us to Niagara Falls and over to the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge that would deliver us to Canada. We stopped briefly at the Duty Free shop which is located just at the base of the bridge. There were only three wickets open and each line had around 10 cars ahead of us. It took quite a while. The first request was to open the back seat window. We were asked where home was. I was almost going to say something sarcastic, but I remembered that we were talking to a border guard. We said Jacksonville was our home. He asked us where we bought our vehicle as we only have a temporary tag. We told him we bought the car in Connecticut. The next question was how long we planned to be in Canada. We said 3-4 weeks. He told us to enjoy our stay. That was quite easy. The bridge toll was around $3.50US. It only took around 15 minutes to drive to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Arrived at Robert & Chris' just after 7 pm. Dropped off our bags and headed out to dinner. We went to a new restaurant called, Bricks & Barley with Robert and Chris. We enjoyed our dinner and the pleasant conversations. There was a high level of sound from everyone talking, so it was difficult to hear each other talking. When dinner was over, we contacted my youngest sister, Victoria, who lives close by. She & her son, Luke, met us back at Chris' house. Robert made us some special coffees and we played several games of Uno. Lots of different rules for me to absorb. I did win one of the games. After Vicki & Luke left, we talked for quite a while, catching up. We still cannot believe we have been away from here so long. Where did the time go? It's after 11 pm and we are exhausted from our travels today and ready to get some rest. Thanks for the many emails and messages. We are back on East Coast time. Enjoy your day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015