s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

More House Work - 09/03/19

03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
Helen
Woke up with the alarm at 7. Had breakfast and headed out soon after. On the way I noticed a FB post from our neighborhood stating that the power was off thru the night. By the time we got there, the power was back on. This power failure had nothing to do with the hurricane. Mark got the hose out and tried to drain out the old hot water tank. However, he had some issues and needed some more tools. Jim was kind enough to bring the needed tools and help Mark get the old tank out. I helped them get it down the stairs. I spent my time wiping down and cleaning all the cupboards in the kitchen.
The new tank was taller than the old one despite it being the same model and company as the old one. This meant buying different connectors plus a few other pieces. We stopped for lunch at the Ale House in Regency. Stopped at Home Depot and found the pieces. Then headed back home. Our realtor sent over a cleaning lady for the afternoon. That was helpful to me. I worked all day cleaning up, including washing the floors and some windows. I still have lots more to do to get the house in shape. Hurricane Dorian was basically not moving this morning and the wind speed dropped to a Cat3. We saw several videos showing the destruction of several Bahama islands. The good news for Jacksonville was the cone moving even further off our coast line. Mark had to return to Home Depot a couple more times to get the rest of the parts needed to complete the hot water tank. Success at last. We were both exhausted when we left for the day. Mark wanted to stop at the beach. As we drove along, the local channel was talking about a beach curfew beginning at 8 pm and ending at 7 am tomorrow. We stopped at the same parking spot as yesterday and took a short walk on Atlantic Beach. There were a lot more people walking on the beach today. The sun was shining. The wind was definitely stronger and well over 20 knots. We did notice that most of the gas stations and other businesses were closed. We spotted a couple of pizza restaurants that were open and stopped at Papa Johns. We were able to order a pizza and take it back to the condo for an early dinner. Could not believe how tired out we were. Decided to run a load of laundry, but not sure how late we will stay up tonight. Our plans are to head over to the house and do some more cleaning. Dorian has reduced to a Category 2, which is good news for all. Movement is NW around 6 mph and maximum sustained winds is down to 110 mph. There should be no stops in Florida. Dorian will stay off Jacksonville by at least 100 miles. We will see the big winds and surf. Not sure if we will see any flooding on our canal. Thanks for the emails and messages. Hope everyone stays safe and out of the path of Dorian.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015