Charis

Family adventures to not-so-distant locations aboard our Beneteau Oceanis 350

01 November 2007
06 October 2007 | Kenosha, WI
28 September 2007 | Kenosha, WI
23 September 2007 | kenosha, WI
16 September 2007 | Kenosha, WI
11 August 2007 | Saugatuck to Kenosha
10 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
09 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
08 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
07 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
06 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
05 August 2007 | Kenosha to Saugatuck
30 July 2007 | Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
17 June 2007 | Horseshoe Island, Peninsula State Park
12 January 2007 | Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
02 August 2005 | Kenosha, WI

The Gangs All Here

08 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
Kirk
Renee arrived last night with Erik, Elisabeth, and Ethan. When Renee and I planned this trip, we decided it would be a good test to see if our entire family could actually survive living together on a 35' sailboat. Needless to say, we both had our reservations. However, last night proved to be very restfull and everyone did great.

We awoke this morning to a newspaper and donuts delivered to our slip. The kids now have a new hero... they refer to the guy who makes the early-morning delivery as "The Donutman".

After breakfast on board, we motored out so the Emilie and I could give the rest of the family a tour of the harbor and the Kalamazoo river. When we got to Lake Michigan, everyone was hot and wanted to swim, so we anchored off the beach and took a dip. I had hoped to sail up the coast a little ways so that we could take in the views of the beautiful shoreline with the huge sand dunes... but again, no wind.

So we motored back to our slip and hiked up Mt. Baldhead instead. Renee and the kids ran down the backside and I drove the car around and met them at the beach. As we were walking down the beach to find a spot, someone calls out, "Renee!". It was Jim and Rose Hutchings... Jim was Erik's baseball coach this Spring. So we spent the afternoon at the beach with friends from Grayslake. Erik especially enjoyed playing at the beach with their son Tommy.

We finished off the day with dinner in town and of course an ice cream cone followed by a walk. I could get used to this lifestyle.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charis
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 350
Hailing Port: Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
Crew: Kirk Mies
About: My wife Renee, and our children, Erik, Emilie, Elisabeth, and Ethan
Extra: "Charis" (khar'-ece) is a Greek word which refers to God's unmerited favor or grace; the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life.

Who we are

Who: Kirk Mies
Port: Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA