Charis

Family adventures to not-so-distant locations aboard our Beneteau Oceanis 350

01 November 2007
06 October 2007 | Kenosha, WI
28 September 2007 | Kenosha, WI
23 September 2007 | kenosha, WI
16 September 2007 | Kenosha, WI
11 August 2007 | Saugatuck to Kenosha
10 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
09 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
08 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
07 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
06 August 2007 | Saugatuck, MI
05 August 2007 | Kenosha to Saugatuck
30 July 2007 | Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
17 June 2007 | Horseshoe Island, Peninsula State Park
12 January 2007 | Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
02 August 2005 | Kenosha, WI

Six Kids and Two Dads

16 September 2007 | Kenosha, WI
Kirk
Nate and four of his kids, Maddie, Jorie, Josie, and Griffin joined Emilie, Ethan, and me for an afternoon aboard Charis. The conditions were great... wind was 10 kts out of the south, and the waves were 2 feet. We had a great time and the kids enjoyed playing around down below and sitting on the deck as we sailed... that is until the Oreo cookies came out. The kids were all down below enjoying an Oreo when Nate and I noticed some of the kids seemed a little too quiet. I looked down the companionway and noticed both Ethan and Griffin slumped over with their heads on the table. Sitting quietly is not something either of these boys do too often, and when I called to them I got no response. Suspecting seasickness, I brought them out into the fresh air of the cockpit hoping to bring them back to normal or at least avoid a messy cleanup down below. Slumped in our laps, the boys languished with their heads resting on their life jackets. Finally, first one then the other puked. It seemed to me that Griffin was the most miserable. After puking over the side, he fell asleep in his Dad's arms.

As soon as we began puking, I immediately reversed course. And as soon as we entered the calm water of the Kenosha harbor, the kids who had become sick immediately perked up. We anchored in the harbor for an hour and enjoyed hanging on the hook... the kids entertained themselves. Ethan demonstrated his amazing vocal range... he has discovered that he can emit the highest pitch squeak... it sounds almost like the chirps of a dolphin but much much louder. A few weeks ago while anchored in the same harbor, he discovered his echo as he bounced his chirp off the buildings and steel piers.

Despite the seasickness, we all really enjoyed hanging out with each other. It was great to spend some time with Nate and the kids.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charis
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 350
Hailing Port: Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
Crew: Kirk Mies
About: My wife Renee, and our children, Erik, Emilie, Elisabeth, and Ethan
Extra: "Charis" (khar'-ece) is a Greek word which refers to God's unmerited favor or grace; the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life.

Who we are

Who: Kirk Mies
Port: Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA