Cruising aboard Charmer

Cruising the east coast of Australia

11 November 2022 | Barrenjoey .. here we come
09 November 2022 | Sunrise in Port Macquarie through salty window
08 November 2022 | Billi the sea dog in the fish’s eye !
06 November 2022 | Back at Iluka anchorage heading south
02 November 2022 | Coolangatta storm front
26 October 2022
18 October 2022 | Allowing our ‘little friend’ to pass
16 October 2022 | On our way to Mooloolaba
14 October 2022 | Oily conditions between Pancake Creek and Bundaberg
04 October 2022 | Cape Capricorn
03 October 2022
02 October 2022 | Approaching Curlew Island under great conditions
01 October 2022 | Thomas Island sunset
25 September 2022 | Whitehaven
24 September 2022 | Whitehaven bliss
24 September 2022 | The ‘Hut’ anchorage.
13 September 2022 | Good morning on Whitehaven
11 September 2022 | Port of Airlie marina
07 September 2022 | Resort lunch
04 September 2022 | Hamilton Island - somewhere ahead !

Golden Slumbers

01 June 2022
Brett Morelli
“Golden Slumbers fill your eyes, smiles awake you when you rise “… if only that was true last night !

In a previous post, we declared never to anchor in an open ‘bay’ or anything similar to an open bay again. Well, guess what, we did. Kingfisher Bay, not really a bay as we know it, one of those Queensland bays where the coastline makes a kind of curved deviation as if you are driving around a bend in the road and you have to turn the wheel slightly to get through the bend.

Anyway, that aside, we were informed that Kingfisher Bay, now known as, Bay of Hell, shall now take the top gong for the worst anchorage. I hope we don’t award any further gongs as I don't see how it could become worse. It has heavily tainted our visit to Fraser Island.

Maybe there was a sign earlier in the day as we missed getting back to our tender on the beach by 10 minutes to find the low tide had stranded her about 20’ from water. Arhg, drag it into the water I hear you say. Well, when the tender was re-powered prior to our departure a replacement 50HP motor was installed. A 50HP motor is quite heavy and when that’s on the back of a fiberglass bottomed inflatable tender, I can tell you, it ain’t gonna be moved by two people when she’s beached in wet sand.

To cut a long story short, two young blokes watched us attempt to drag, push, sway and swerve the tender towards the water - it was sooo close, c’mon you miserable so-n-so … she was quite happy to ‘rest’ on the sand for the foreseeable future. The patterns we had created in the muddy sand looked more like the aftermath of a game of rugby on a wet cricket pitch (those of use who played rugby on ovals with cricket pitches in the middle know what I mean). Shortly after the First Mate and I had now formulated a plan to go to the beach bar and drink until 6:00 pm when the tide will be back to what we arrived on, these two blokes walked towards us, partially laughing and partially proud of themselves as they offered their assistance. As soon as our new best friends were in position and a few counts of “1,2,3… GO”, 'Albo’ (our tender’s name due to the rego numbers), slid into the water. As the first mate exclaimed .. ”there’s nothing quite like man power..”. Geez, good one Darl I thought to myself. The problem was, the man power put us in this situation to start with !

The tides in Queensland are higher than what we experience in Sydney waters, however, what makes it worse is the shallow shorelines, almost level in sections, large sandbanks, so when a low tide of 0.5 mtr hits, the sand exposed is sometimes huge, hence the beaching of ‘Albo’ as an example. The further north we go, the more variation in tides. Planning will be the key moving ahead.

So we retired to Charmer for an afternoon toddy as yet again, the sun set showed off her usual beauty.

Strangely the wind increased as the sun set, swell after swell banging on the side of Charmer, the water current and wind working together to not move us from the unfortunate position we were in. It continued on, often releasing anger in a series of larger swells that had the first mate and I exchanging glances without saying a word. We both knew what the other was thinking … “..this is misery..”(expletive substituted).

We retired about 10:00 pm, lying in bed it felt like we were taking a ride at Luna Park, the ‘Spider’ comes to mind, a ride where you were thrown all over the place wondering when the hell the ride was going to stop ! Well, this ride didn’t stop.

The first mate wobbled out of bed about 2:30 am and retired to the upstairs saloon thinking the noise would be less. It was as I experienced it at 4:15 am! Encouragingly, at that time the first mate was sound asleep - maybe I could get a few hours myself.

I experienced dappled sleep until 5:30 am, when suddenly, like Huey knew we had had enough, decided to turn off the conditions and flicked his switch.

How can that be, from misery to bliss in 5 mins?

Weather, go figure ??
Comments
Vessel Name: Charmer
Vessel Make/Model: Marlow 57
Hailing Port: Pittwater, NSW
Crew: Brett & Kathy Morelli
About: Wanted to go cruising before we couldn't !
Extra: Third crew member Billi the beast only cruising with us until we reach the NSW-QLD border. Billi will be staying on the NSW far north coast until we return. We will miss him.
Charmer's Photos - NSW Coast (Main)
1 Photo
1
Charmer at rest: Refuge Bay
 
1
Port of Airlie to Gold Coast Boatworks
57 Photos
Created 20 October 2022
In and around the main Islands. North of Airlie, Whitehaven, Nara Inlet, Lindeman Island, Hamilton Island
89 Photos
Created 25 September 2022
Part 2 of the Whitsundays
53 Photos
Created 22 August 2022
In and around Airlie Beach and the main Whitsunday Islands
71 Photos
Created 20 June 2022
Pancake Creek and north to Whitsundays
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2022
Mooloolaba, Wide Bay Bar, Tin Can Bay, Fraser Is, Urangan, Bundaberg, 1770
47 Photos
Created 29 May 2022
Southport to Mooloolaba
21 Photos
Created 7 May 2022
Various piccies as we head north
22 Photos
Created 27 April 2022