Cruising aboard Charmer

Cruising the east coast of Australia

11 November 2022 | Barrenjoey .. here we come
09 November 2022 | Sunrise in Port Macquarie through salty window
08 November 2022 | Billi the sea dog in the fish’s eye !
06 November 2022 | Back at Iluka anchorage heading south
02 November 2022 | Coolangatta storm front
26 October 2022
18 October 2022 | Allowing our ‘little friend’ to pass
16 October 2022 | On our way to Mooloolaba
14 October 2022 | Oily conditions between Pancake Creek and Bundaberg
04 October 2022 | Cape Capricorn
03 October 2022
02 October 2022 | Approaching Curlew Island under great conditions
01 October 2022 | Thomas Island sunset
25 September 2022 | Whitehaven
24 September 2022 | Whitehaven bliss
24 September 2022 | The ‘Hut’ anchorage.
13 September 2022 | Good morning on Whitehaven
11 September 2022 | Port of Airlie marina
07 September 2022 | Resort lunch
04 September 2022 | Hamilton Island - somewhere ahead !

I’ll Follow the Sun

06 June 2022 | Just a little taste will do ..
Brett Morelli
“One day, you’ll look and I’ll be gone.. but tomorrow may rain, so, I’ll follow the sun”

We had a semi-rough journey to Bundaberg. The forecast for light winds and no swell, was, a bit of a farce. We left about 8:00 am on a grey sky with the potential of more rain - where’s the sunshine that was here yesterday? Hiding !

The increased wind whipped up the chop and although we were heading into the predominantly northerly swell, it was an up and down ride, without too much a rockin’.

Our aim to get to Bundaberg by 1:30 pm was locked and loaded. We cruised on 8.5-9.0 kts as we headed north on a rhum-line course towards the Port of Bundaberg marina and a safe haven.

We arrived bang on 1:30 and tied up with the help of a resident yachty who fought with the wind to tie up the bow and then help set our springers. Bundaberg Port Marina is a well maintained small setup and will be our home for 3 nights.

We woke the next day and headed for Bundaberg town, about a 20 minute taxi ride. It was a bit early for Uber, so Clive, our taxi driver drove from town to pick us up for our Bundaberg Distillery tour. Apparently, as the story goes, one punter, when completing his tour of the distillery, consumed two litres of Bundy Rum and was never seen again. Maybe that explains the rather mighty flavour of the Bundy rum. Vat 109 will never be the same.

We enjoyed our tour and after the obligatory free tasting (and our wonder through the IKEA style merchandise to exit), walked to the visitors centre around the corner 400 metres away. Not sure if that’s a good location next door to the distillery, but there you go. I guess the visitor centre thought next door is close enough for the occasional sniff as the ‘odour de molasses’ floats through the neighbourhood.

As we entered the visitors centre there was a couple walking out as we were looking at brochures and maps etc … “Oh, have you been to the gin tasting?”… did we look like we were in need of another drink ? “No, we haven’t” was our surprised reply. “We were looking for a place to have some lunch” says the first mate. “Oh well”, says Emelda, you should go to Grunskes, they have great seafood”. Once we informed them we had no transport they offered to take us to the gin distillery and then drop us to Grunskes. Hey, who are we to knock back a trip to a gin tasting ? So off we go. Turns out Dennis and Emelda are locals originally from Toowoomba and wanted to impart a bit of local hospitality. We drove for a while wondering where the hell we were going when Emelda calming stated, “Dennis, where are we going?”. Nonchalantly Dennis replied, “yeah, I missed the turn off”. Go Dennis.

We arrived at Kalki Moon distillery and they insisted they join us for the tasting. Well, it was past midday, so why not. Besides, you always need a comparative retort when sampling spirits. After our complimentary tasting of some very nice gins we hopped back into their car and they dropped us off at Grunskes. Now that’s hospitality!

We enjoyed some fresh snapper and then called an Uber, (apparently the only Uber driver in Bundaberg) as affirmed by the Marina manger “.. he does very well..”. Well, he could do better if he started earlier !

Back at the marina, we settled into a quiet night knowing full-well we were expecting rain overnight. However, the following day, Tuesday, was our planned departure and we looked forward to slight seas and a smooth run to 1770.

We shall see.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charmer
Vessel Make/Model: Marlow 57
Hailing Port: Pittwater, NSW
Crew: Brett & Kathy Morelli
About: Wanted to go cruising before we couldn't !
Extra: Third crew member Billi the beast only cruising with us until we reach the NSW-QLD border. Billi will be staying on the NSW far north coast until we return. We will miss him.
Charmer's Photos - NSW Coast (Main)
1 Photo
1
Charmer at rest: Refuge Bay
 
1
Port of Airlie to Gold Coast Boatworks
57 Photos
Created 20 October 2022
In and around the main Islands. North of Airlie, Whitehaven, Nara Inlet, Lindeman Island, Hamilton Island
89 Photos
Created 25 September 2022
Part 2 of the Whitsundays
53 Photos
Created 22 August 2022
In and around Airlie Beach and the main Whitsunday Islands
71 Photos
Created 20 June 2022
Pancake Creek and north to Whitsundays
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2022
Mooloolaba, Wide Bay Bar, Tin Can Bay, Fraser Is, Urangan, Bundaberg, 1770
47 Photos
Created 29 May 2022
Southport to Mooloolaba
21 Photos
Created 7 May 2022
Various piccies as we head north
22 Photos
Created 27 April 2022