Cruising aboard Charmer

Cruising the east coast of Australia

11 November 2022 | Barrenjoey .. here we come
09 November 2022 | Sunrise in Port Macquarie through salty window
08 November 2022 | Billi the sea dog in the fish’s eye !
06 November 2022 | Back at Iluka anchorage heading south
02 November 2022 | Coolangatta storm front
26 October 2022
18 October 2022 | Allowing our ‘little friend’ to pass
16 October 2022 | On our way to Mooloolaba
14 October 2022 | Oily conditions between Pancake Creek and Bundaberg
04 October 2022 | Cape Capricorn
03 October 2022
02 October 2022 | Approaching Curlew Island under great conditions
01 October 2022 | Thomas Island sunset
25 September 2022 | Whitehaven
24 September 2022 | Whitehaven bliss
24 September 2022 | The ‘Hut’ anchorage.
13 September 2022 | Good morning on Whitehaven
11 September 2022 | Port of Airlie marina
07 September 2022 | Resort lunch
04 September 2022 | Hamilton Island - somewhere ahead !

Golden Slumbers

06 July 2022 | Port of Airlie
Brett Morelli
“Golden Slumbers fill your eyes… smiles awake you when you rise”….

Well, the rain stopped overnight and today we smile … sunshine … blue skies and water so still you’re not sure which way is up !

What a change a day makes. Watching day tripper tourists walk around in ponchos and wielding umbrellas in not so friendly wind to then wake up to a real Whitsundays day, Huey can really torment the mind.

This week I’m flying solo, well boating solo more specifically. The First Mate is spending time with family in Tweed Heads taking my concern and feelings with her for Garth and Maxine in particular. Did you know there’s no direct flights from Proserpine to Gold Coast ? A logistics challenge to piece together a workable itinerary started with a shuttle bus from Port of Airlie to Proserpine, then the flight to Brisvegas, then a 2.5 hour bus ride to Tweed Heads. Luckily we are not under any time constraint. The cargo successfully arrived, as per planned itinerary ! No delayed flights or cancelled land transfers … things are looking up.

It’s been a relatively slow week. The 4 days of on-off rain had minimal boat movement from the marina, however, as soon as the sun was out motors were started, provisions were trolleyed down to boats and people were actually doing something ! Even the tourists were walking around - without umbrellas .. without ponchos - and there’s no wind !

This time next week we are booked in to Hamilton Island marina for the start of a family reunion of sorts with Dan, Reensy and the kids for a week of boating enjoyment around the Whitsundays.

Weather is looking good, but whatever we are dished out will not really matter… it will be great to see them after almost 4 months - one of the longest times since we have seen the kids for a while. The excitement is building, Sophia sent us a picture of her practicing the goggle and snorkel (check out the gallery) … We won’t see Kunzy and Juliette until September !

Ok, back to now. I have a few ‘boat chores’ to do today. One of which is to rectify a small leak I discovered during all the rain. Not a leak to effect the floating properties of CHARMER mind you, but an annoying leak from the davit on the flybridge. Loose bolts and what looks like a dodgey sealing job around the base. Why don’t people do a job properly in the first place ? That answer, if I could borrow an expression from Mr Spock (yes, while the first mate is away I am getting my fill of Star Trek !), is “totally illogical”. So, today I finish off what I started late yesterday after a half day search and investigation job to find where the leak originated.

Being of larger in stature than the Shipwrights more designed to contort their bodies around boat hulls and fixtures, it’s always a challenge to get right into ‘that spot’ when you see an issue. It often involves the thought of ..”.. if I get in there am I going to be able to get out ?..”. Hmmmm…. alone on a boat, deep in a cupboard below the deck level sandwiched between a cold hull wall and captured by bolts making holes in your favourite T-shirt or a leg pinned in an inhuman angle between large semi-flexible drainage pipes and hull mouldings .. however, I digress … believe me .. deep inside the hull …. “no one can here you scream !”. So, you take it slow and cautious, all the time being careful to look at ‘what if’ scenarios. Remember that guy who fell between two rocks and cut his own arm off ? I won’t be doing that. You can’t play guitar with one arm, at least I don’t think so.

Anyway, the sun is shining, Greg and Pia next door in a 55 foot motor Catarmaran are out for a few days with their kids making the most of the pristine conditions.

Next week is our turn and we can’t wait !
Comments
Vessel Name: Charmer
Vessel Make/Model: Marlow 57
Hailing Port: Pittwater, NSW
Crew: Brett & Kathy Morelli
About: Wanted to go cruising before we couldn't !
Extra: Third crew member Billi the beast only cruising with us until we reach the NSW-QLD border. Billi will be staying on the NSW far north coast until we return. We will miss him.
Charmer's Photos - NSW Coast (Main)
1 Photo
1
Charmer at rest: Refuge Bay
 
1
Port of Airlie to Gold Coast Boatworks
57 Photos
Created 20 October 2022
In and around the main Islands. North of Airlie, Whitehaven, Nara Inlet, Lindeman Island, Hamilton Island
89 Photos
Created 25 September 2022
Part 2 of the Whitsundays
53 Photos
Created 22 August 2022
In and around Airlie Beach and the main Whitsunday Islands
71 Photos
Created 20 June 2022
Pancake Creek and north to Whitsundays
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2022
Mooloolaba, Wide Bay Bar, Tin Can Bay, Fraser Is, Urangan, Bundaberg, 1770
47 Photos
Created 29 May 2022
Southport to Mooloolaba
21 Photos
Created 7 May 2022
Various piccies as we head north
22 Photos
Created 27 April 2022