Cruising aboard Charmer

Cruising the east coast of Australia

11 November 2022 | Barrenjoey .. here we come
09 November 2022 | Sunrise in Port Macquarie through salty window
08 November 2022 | Billi the sea dog in the fish’s eye !
06 November 2022 | Back at Iluka anchorage heading south
02 November 2022 | Coolangatta storm front
26 October 2022
18 October 2022 | Allowing our ‘little friend’ to pass
16 October 2022 | On our way to Mooloolaba
14 October 2022 | Oily conditions between Pancake Creek and Bundaberg
04 October 2022 | Cape Capricorn
03 October 2022
02 October 2022 | Approaching Curlew Island under great conditions
01 October 2022 | Thomas Island sunset
25 September 2022 | Whitehaven
24 September 2022 | Whitehaven bliss
24 September 2022 | The ‘Hut’ anchorage.
13 September 2022 | Good morning on Whitehaven
11 September 2022 | Port of Airlie marina
07 September 2022 | Resort lunch
04 September 2022 | Hamilton Island - somewhere ahead !

In My Life

06 August 2022 | Whitehaven bliss
Brett Morelli
“There are places I remember, some have gone and some remain…”. Well, it’s days like these where you never forget !

After ‘Butterfly Gate’ and the Marine Park enforcers we journeyed around to Cid Harbour for the day and evening. The wind dropped back and the evening was calm and quiet. How was it past the entrance at Reef Pt we wondered ? We would find out in the morning. We discussed the plans for the next few days and all agreed we would try and make it to Whitehaven for the next few days and night. We sleep in hope.

The morning delivered a calm aura, a spattering of cloud, as per normal, and the wind still barely registering on the meter. Lookin’ good Shazza.
We rounded Reef Pt To port as we exited Cid Harbour and headed for Fitzalan Passage on the north side of Hamo. Passing through Fitzalan Passage will give us a good feel of the conditions leading up to Whitehaven.
The sea was unexpectedly flat and we were building in anticipation of flat water after passing the resort beach.

Someone has made a sacrifice to the Gods … Neptune and Poseidon have joined forces to calm the water and stop the wind … conditions were benign as we motored past a distant Catseye Beach. We tried this at least 3 times with the kids and failed every attempt.

Our approach to Solway Passage on the eastern point of Whitehaven continued to build on our positive anticipation. We rounded the point to see quite a few boats anchored in what looked like a lake .. or at least … it seemed like a lake. Ripper.

There were no interfering seaplanes to destroy our arrival, no pesky wind squalls to dampen our resolve to anchor, just calm, smooth turquoise water and pearly white sand waiting for us to enjoy. If there was a day to take photos for a tourist brochure, today is the day. I never expected to see as many boats along the beach anchorage strip, each with their own ‘zone’ so to speak enjoying the excellent conditions. We lowered the tender down and after a brief lunch all went to shore for exploration and relaxation ! That first beer when we get back on board will be a beauty !

The evening was an extension of the day, calm and relaxing. Kenny was in charge of the lamb BBQ and by the time that was cooked to expert perfection the sun had disappeared behind Whitsunday Island and we were settled in the flybridge recounting the excellent day over lamb, salad and wines. Geez …. This is nice !

You could have forgotten we were on the water overnight, not a ripple. The Skipper was up early fussing about placing the cabana in the tender all eager to set it up on the beach! Kenny and I were the advance party to select a site and erect aforementioned cabana ! It’s the pineapple pattern, very tropical. We selected the site, erected the pineapple haven in a few minutes remarking to each other “.. how good are these things !! ..”. Set the folding chairs up angled to the shoreline to take advantage of the amazing vista the crew was to appreciate. The advance party returned to Charmer glancing back at out solitary cabana’s commanding view of Whitehaven. It was purely coincidental the chairs faced Charmer sitting pretty on the still millpond, however … I digress. We arrived back aboard while the crew finished their breakfast of champions - a cup of tea and a few pieces of toast .. is there no end to the luxury on this cruise ?

We grabbed towels, chairs and sunscreen (can’t forget the sunscreen .. it’s winter remember !!) and headed for the pineapple haven. I threw the dinghy anchor out a few metres and ‘Albo’ floated comfortably in about 30 cm of crystal clear water, even he was enjoying the conditions (boats are ‘she’, tenders are ‘he’).

Walking up to the cabana we commented it was like we were the only people on the beach .. which, if you consider the closest person to us … we were ! Needless to say we enjoyed the fruits of Whitehaven until late morning, hauled Albo back aboard and then BBQ’d bacon and egg rolls for lunch and headed for Airlie. The conditions remained pristine and the water glowing that turquoise blue and green colour that photos don’t really do justice, not to mention the islands surrounding the water in the photos. Liz and Kenny had a few days on land before they returned to NSW and the country life in Main Arm and we intended to anchor out the front of the marina wall in Airlie, drop them off then hang around for a few days until Steve and Marise arrived for our next visitor phase.

It was a 3 hour journey from Whitehaven and we dropped the pick out the front of the Coral Sea Marina, surrounded by mooring buoys it was a little worrying if things were to blow up. However, we were far enough away not to impact our sleep, well, my sleep at least. Next morning we would move.

The word must have been put out regarding our arrival. About 7:30 pm we were casually enjoying a wine watching the Comm Games when fireworks started in the centre of the bay. Well, that’s a nice welcome we thought. Thanks. Further research revealed we are now in the week of Airlie Beach Festival … bands, comedy shows, carnival on the foreshore etc .. it’s party time. Following the fireworks, which were fantastic, especially given our front row seat, an Indigenous band started playing inside one of the tents or from a pub, couldn’t really tell. Prominent with digereedoo we weren’t sure if someone was being sacrificed or he needed to tune his digg ! Anyway, it was great atmosphere for our first night back.

The wind chop patted the bow most of the night, but nothing too alarming. By morning the wind had abated to virtually nothing and the conditions were mild with the odd swell from a passing boat ( ie. now we’re out of the marina let’s see how fast this baby will go !). However, it was tolerable. We moved down towards the overview of Sorrento bar and bistro part of the Coral Sea Marina and set up for the next few days. It wasn’t long before the wind died down to nothing and the tidal current took over, rotating us almost 180 degrees to face Sorrento and the drinkers in the outside bar. There’s always one patron who has the loudest laugh and seems to be laughing at anything thrown at him …. Mate … you’ve had too much … get on the water ! I myself, never getting to that stage.

The afternoon was turning into a smooth haven for boats and a few more soon turned up to secure their spot, conditions were great. We invited Graham and Faye (Lagoon catamaran called Meraki we met in Pittwater before we left Sydney) for some drinks before the sun was down and enjoyed some banter on boats, the weather, family and general “what are your plans” stuff.

They returned to Meraki about 7:15 pm and it wasn’t long after that the fireworks were back on again. This time we were had more than a front row seat as they were pretty darn close to us, however, not nearly as close as the yacht you can see in the photos ! (check out the gallery photos). There was no wind, so the echoing of the fireworks were reverberating throughout Airlie Beach. Almost as if there was a celebration of the day, it was a nice way to close out the evening.

Tomorrow we decide if we stay for a day or two or do a bit of exploring north of Airlie Beach.

Onwards and upwards.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charmer
Vessel Make/Model: Marlow 57
Hailing Port: Pittwater, NSW
Crew: Brett & Kathy Morelli
About: Wanted to go cruising before we couldn't !
Extra: Third crew member Billi the beast only cruising with us until we reach the NSW-QLD border. Billi will be staying on the NSW far north coast until we return. We will miss him.
Charmer's Photos - NSW Coast (Main)
1 Photo
1
Charmer at rest: Refuge Bay
 
1
Port of Airlie to Gold Coast Boatworks
57 Photos
Created 20 October 2022
In and around the main Islands. North of Airlie, Whitehaven, Nara Inlet, Lindeman Island, Hamilton Island
89 Photos
Created 25 September 2022
Part 2 of the Whitsundays
53 Photos
Created 22 August 2022
In and around Airlie Beach and the main Whitsunday Islands
71 Photos
Created 20 June 2022
Pancake Creek and north to Whitsundays
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2022
Mooloolaba, Wide Bay Bar, Tin Can Bay, Fraser Is, Urangan, Bundaberg, 1770
47 Photos
Created 29 May 2022
Southport to Mooloolaba
21 Photos
Created 7 May 2022
Various piccies as we head north
22 Photos
Created 27 April 2022