S/V Chase the Cat

Ocean: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the sailing ship Chase the Cat. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no Chase the Cat has gone before.

26 September 2017 | Karimun Jawa
25 September 2017 | Karimun Jawa
24 September 2017 | Bawean
22 September 2017 | Bawean
18 September 2017 | Lowina
17 September 2017 | Lowina
15 September 2017 | Lowina
13 September 2017 | Lombok
12 September 2017 | Lombok
11 September 2017 | Lombok
09 September 2017 | Lombok
08 September 2017 | Gili Banta
06 September 2017 | Rinca Island (Komodo)
30 August 2017 | Labuan Bajo
29 August 2017 | Flores Region, somewhere around Riung
26 August 2017 | Maurole

Labuan Bajo and my Lesson in Caring

30 August 2017 | Labuan Bajo
Mel
It turned night when we lifted anchor and left the Flores Region to sail to Komodo. Our calculations placed us in Labuan Bajo (Komodo) in the Morning close to Lunchtime. We had a pleasant sail through the night. It was about midnight, when we came across a Fisherman dragging a Net behind him. He indicated with his Spotlight the direction of his Net. We turned to the right to get around him. After about 4 nm we came across the first lit Marker-Flag of the Fishingnets and 2 nm ahead was the second one. We already came out to sea a fair wack. And not being able to see where the Nets start or end, we decided to run across between the Markers. We had the Machete lying close to the back of the boat, just in case we had to cut a Net to free our Boat. But nothing happened and we arrived sleep deprived at Labuan Bajo. During the Night I let Grant sleep as much as I could and felt so buggered when we anchored, but everything was so exciting that I kept soaking up the surroundings. We came into Labuan Bajo from the North and passed some amazingly beautiful Islands with white sandy Beaches. The water at the Reefs had a wonderful turquoise colour and the Ocean itself was azure blue. When we came into the Harbour, we were amazed by the many Boats anchored and underway. Labuan Bajo was the busiest harbour I have seen so far. We sailed our boat around the many Charter Boats and found a spot in between them. A bit unsure we left the Boat to check out the Town. We dinghied past a British bloke, Nico, who lives and works on the Boat anchored in front of us, to ask about the Harbour and the Town. He explained that it is common for the Indonesian Boats to anchor close to each other and sometimes touch. We were pretty close to big fat Dive Boats, but still seem to be in a good spot. We went ashore and walked down the Mainstreet until we arrived at a Pizzeria called “MadeInItaly”. It was owned by an Italian and had proper Pizza. I had not eaten properly for ages, since we were forced on an Indonesian Chicken and Rice Diet for Month, I decided to order a Pizza with Anchovies and Capers – my favourite. The Pizza tasted wonderful. Unfortunately, after the first slice went down the hatch, I started to get stomach pains. That was my bellys’ way to ask me, why we suddenly eat proper food. My stomach was so used to Nasi Goreng that it could not deal with Pizza. The staff was brilliant and put the Pizza in a Take-Away Box. They even had a free taxi to pick you up or drop you off. At the road in front of the Restaurant on the property next door was a burst garbage bag with two little kittens chomping on the thrown-out leftovers in the garbage. The mother, not much older than her babys, was watching them munching away. I wanted to photograph the little ones, but the white and ginger mother and the white and brown kitten jumped away, leaving the little white and ginger sibling behind. It looked at me unimpressed and kept chewing. It must have been starving. I stepped back and the mother and kitten came back. The babies kept chomping, while the mother watched over them. After a while, she decided, it’s time to go, and ran over the street. She nearly got run over by a car. On the other side, she turned around to call the babies. Unlike Australian cats, her voice was low and scruffy. She kept waiting and calling for at least 4 Minutes, but the kittens were so starving that they did not want to leave the garbage until they gobbled everything up. The mother had no choice but to come back to the other side where her kittens were eating. Our cab arrived and took us back to the Dinghy. I wished, I could have done something for the kittens to make sure they are well.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chase the Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First 31
Crew: Grant, Mel and Chase
Chase the Cat's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.