S/V Chase the Cat

Ocean: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the sailing ship Chase the Cat. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no Chase the Cat has gone before.

26 September 2017 | Karimun Jawa
25 September 2017 | Karimun Jawa
24 September 2017 | Bawean
22 September 2017 | Bawean
18 September 2017 | Lowina
17 September 2017 | Lowina
15 September 2017 | Lowina
13 September 2017 | Lombok
12 September 2017 | Lombok
11 September 2017 | Lombok
09 September 2017 | Lombok
08 September 2017 | Gili Banta
06 September 2017 | Rinca Island (Komodo)
30 August 2017 | Labuan Bajo
29 August 2017 | Flores Region, somewhere around Riung
26 August 2017 | Maurole

Rinca Island - Land of the Dragons

06 September 2017 | Rinca Island (Komodo)
Mel
In the morning of the 6th of September, in a kind of hurry, we left the anchorage, before anyone else could get hold of Grants Repair Skills. We had no Wind and had to run the Engine all the way to Rinca Island. The Channel to the Anchorage to the Ranger Station did not leave a lot of space for the amount of visiting boats. We found a spot further away from the Ranger Station and close to the Mud dries between the Mangroves. We had already dropped Anchor and the Boat had just settled when I saw something cat-like walking on all fours with a tail straight up in the air in the mud between the Mangroves. It was a crab-eating Macaque (Makaken-Affe oder Bergrhesus). Grant did not see it first, but soon after the whole area was full of Macaques. We took the Dinghy closer to shore and lobbed three Bananas onto the Beach. We waited a bit but nothing happened. Grant drove the Dinghy along the Shore to look for more Monkeys. From the Dinghy we could see wonderful Coral in the clear water with lots of colourful Fish. The sun set slowly and we returned to the Boat. Early in the morning, around six o’clock, we jumped out of bed to see the Komodo Dragons. We took the Dinghy to the Jetty and tied it on. On the way to the Ranger Station, we came past a Macaque sitting on a pillar eating Nuts and Fish. I wanted to take a Snapshot with my Nikon Camera and slowly moved closer to him. I zoomed the camera lense out in his direction. The little monkey thought I give the camera to him and kind of reached out for it. But realizing the misunderstanding, he kept eating his fish while I stepped back and hurried after Grant who had already gone away. We arrived at the Ranger Station and saw three big Komodo Dragons lying around. One of them started to make its way down the footpath, where the second Group of Yachties walked along. While the Dragon walked down the Path, the People scattered into the Mudflats to get out of its way. They gave it a wide berth, just in case. After paying the National Park Fee, a Guide with a wooden Stick came to guide us through the Park. We chose to do the long Walk, which was great but actually not long enough. We came past a few Komodo Dragon Nests, but all of them were empty or unguarded. A female Dragon can lay up to 30 Eggs, but only 12 hatch. They mate from May to August and lay the eggs in September. She then guards the eggs for two month, after that she abandons the nest. Nine month after the Eggs are layed little Komodo Dragons hatch. The Hatchlings have to survive by themselves. The strongest eats the weakest or adult Komodo Dragons, Boars or Guineafowls come for them and the eggs. The hatchlings survival instinct lets them run for cover as soon as they dug their way out of the nest, climbing up Palmtrees and hiding in Treeholes. On the way around, we did not see a single Komodo Dragon, but lots of Water-Buffalos, Monkeys, Guineafowls and Deer. We also saw our Boats from the Top of the Hill. We returned to the Boat at around Lunchtime. Having still have a day left, we anchored up and went to Gili Banta South Anchorage, in hope to find an empty and quiet spot. Close to sundown, we arrived at our empty and quiet spot, just to find out, that Our Reflections and Fiddler VI had booked the Spot before us. Soon after us Sedna and Indigo2 arrived. Fiddler invited all of us around for Dinner. We had an absolute fantastic time. Fiddler was anchored in nine meter of water above beautiful Coral. It was the most beautiful Garden I have ever seen. It was already dark when a Fisherman in a little Canoe-Boat came to anchor close to shore for a good night sleep.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chase the Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First 31
Crew: Grant, Mel and Chase
Chase the Cat's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.