Chasing the Wind

20 April 2017
05 October 2015
26 July 2015
10 July 2015
03 July 2015
12 June 2015
19 May 2015
22 April 2015
07 April 2015
17 September 2014
21 August 2014
13 August 2014
13 August 2014
13 August 2014
08 July 2014 | Douarnenez

Costa de Morte

03 July 2015

The Costa da Morte (that's the coast of death for us gringos) gave me pause when I first read about it in our pilot guide. It's the section of coast from Ria Muros in the south around Cabo Finisterre to A Coruna in the north east. Certainly Cabo Finisterre needs no introduction, but the neighborhood around it is no walk in the park either. We've read accounts of tremendous (and contrary) winds, mountainous seas and thick fog. Mix in a particularly rocky coastline and the legend was cemented in Mariners' lore from the very beginning. Fortunately, we have the benefit of technology, but that eases our pucker factor only slightly. Obviously, you need to pick your weather for transiting this section of coast and rounding the Cape.

We experienced firsthand the effect large headlands have on the weather when we rounded Cabo Ortegal northeast of A Coruna. More dramatic than most any headland, Cabo Ortegal looms on the horizon far, far away. The day we approached from the east, the sea was placid and flat. In fact, we were motoring as there was no wind! The day up to that point was a frustrating series of hoisting sails and trying to sail our course mixed with motoring and doused canvas. As soon as we rounded the Cape, just nine miles from our destination of Ria Cedeira, the wind piped-up in a big way with 35 knots at our stern. This all took place in a space of perhaps 1/4 mile! We made it in without incident, but with a newfound (and healthy) dose of respect ...

We lay at anchor off the pretty town of Corme, just 40 miles northeast of Cabo Finisterre, poised for tackling the Costa da Morte. The weather forecast is promising with a predicted breeze of 15 knots on our stern quarter. With our prior experience rounding big capes fresh in our mind, we set off and fortunately had a wonderful, drama-free day sailing around the feared Cape. As if on cue, as soon as we rounded the wind promptly died and we had to motor the remaining 15 miles or so to Ria Muros. Point taken: be prepared for anything when rounding big capes.
Comments
Vessel Name: Deja Vu
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 361
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA USA
Crew: Pam and Roger
About:
We've spent the last 13 years working towards our goal of retirement. Learning to sail later in life, we jumped in willingly and took our first sailing lessons at the Learn to Sail program at Vallejo Yacht Club. Pam went on to take some classes at Tradewinds Sailing School in Richmond, Ca. [...]

Livin' the dream

Who: Pam and Roger
Port: San Francisco, CA USA