Dan and Shelly's Caribbean Adventures

Join us while we sail the Caribbean!

01 October 2008 | Virgin Gorda
22 May 2008 | Buck Island
09 April 2008 | Puerto Rico to the Virgin Islands
09 March 2008 | Luperon to Puerto Rico
17 February 2008 | Luperon, Dominican Republic
04 February 2008 | Rum Cay to Turks and Caicos
22 January 2008 | Big Major to Stocking Island
12 December 2007 | Exuma Islands
02 December 2007 | Bahamas
08 November 2007 | Abacos
20 October 2007 | Bahamas
18 October 2007
04 June 2007 | Dinner Key Marina Miami
01 March 2007 | Dinner Key, FL

Rum Cay to Turks and Caicos

04 February 2008 | Rum Cay to Turks and Caicos
1-20-08
Last full day for John and Kathy aboard Chinook, spent the day visiting hamburger beach, hiked to ocean beach for a swim, and spent the evening at St. Francis's watching football (the Packer's demise). Returned to Chinook for more adventure...effects from a cold front finally blew in and decided to rock and roll all the boats in the harbour...yep, our anchor started to drag. Let the fun begin!

1-21-08
John and Kathy departed at 6:00 a.m. from Chinook. A local water taxi service picked up John and Cathy from our boat, nice service! Normally, it would not have been an issue to take them to shore but the wind was blowing 25 knots and it was raining!

1-23-08
After several days of high winds, we were able to provision and stage up for our departure out of the Bahamas! We said our good byes to our friends aboard Dog's Life and began our 215 - mile trek via our rumb line to Turks and Caicos. Not to worry, we are never traveling alone in this life style, our friends Hot-Latte-Tudes (Gram and Pam) were just a few miles ahead. Dan and I departed for Calabash Bay on Long Island (1st leg of our 3 day journey). Columbus discover the island in 1642!
N23. 39
W75. 19
1-24-08
We departed for Rum Cay at 6:00 am., another 45 mile travel day...Arrived in Rum Cay, Port Nelson by 4 pm.
N23. 38
W74. 51
Dan caught his first fish... a Yellow Jack! At Rum Cay, several other sailors and friends...Hot-Latte-Tudes and Windego were there to greet us...Of course, we were just in time for a party on the main land!

1-25-08
Continuing our journey for Turks and Caicos (The British West Indies), we departed for Mayaguana (the last island we anchored on in the Bahamas), with Hot-Latte-Tudes. Our journey from Rum Cay (departing at 7:00 am.) to Mayaguana consisted of 130 miles, 25 hours with 20-25 knots of northeast winds, and 10-15 foot rollers...we reached the southeast point of Mayaguana at 8:30 am.
N22. 17
W72. 48
After confirming that our friends reached their anchorage, Dan and I enjoyed a 5-hour nap...

1-27-08
Departing by 6:00am, we set sail for our final 40-miles to reach Turks and Caicos, Providencials Island. Set anchor in Sapodilla Bay, cleared customs, and obtained a seven-day cruising permit. Mayaguana to Providencials "Provo" Island in Turks and Caicos
N21. 43
W72. 15
Providencials Island is undergoing an extreme makeover...building everywhere. The locals are very friendly and hard working. The land development is a major change from the Bahamas. Dan and I have been keeping very busy in Turks. We enjoyed a two days of diving with Caicos Adventures to French Cay and West Caicos, hiked around the island, rented a car with Hot-Latte-Tudes, and participated in a bar hopping excursion. Not escaping too far from reality, we enjoyed the Super Bowl at a local bar called Neptune's...

2-4-08
Dan and I cleared out of customs in Turks and Caicos and will be departing for Luperon, Dominican Republic on 2-5-08, the journey will take four days and approximately 140 miles.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chinook
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 420
Hailing Port: Steamboat Colorado
Crew: Dan and Shelly Fowler

Who: Dan and Shelly Fowler
Port: Steamboat Colorado