Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Cape York

20 July 2006 | Cape York, Australia
Julie
We rounded Cape York, the norternmost part of Australia, yesterday afternoon...a milestone of sorts. Not a terribly difficult one, but significant nonetheless. We had spent the night at Cairncross Island and left early in the morning so as to arrive at flood tide to take advantage of the current. Being a small boat, we were able to use Albany Passage, rather than going on the outside with the large freighters. The passage is beautiful - only about 1/4 mile wide and about ten miles long. Both sides are covered in lush green tropical vegetation with white sandy beaches and dense mangroves. We sailed all the way through, taking photos and enjoying the peaceful scenery. There was little wind, but we clipped along nicely with the help of two knots of current in our favor.

On the other side of the pass is Cape York, the northern most tip of mainland Australia. We rounded the Cape, going outside of two small islands, and headed for Endeavor Strait. The wind dropped off for a while which was no problem as the current kept us moving at 3 to 4 kts. Towards sunset we started to get nervous that we would not make it through the Straight before the current turned against us. But shortly thereafter, a squall came over, delivering a good dose of rain followed by 20+ knots of wind. We just made it over the shoaling water at the end of Endeavor Strait as the current was changing.

We entered the Gulf of Carpintaria and set our course to 270 degrees (due west) along the 11 degree latitude line, which will more or less be our course for the next 6,000 miles across the Indian Ocean. We are now about halfway across the Gulf. We have 15 to 20 knots of wind, but a nasty cross swell causing the boat to roll from beam to beam. Otherwise it has been a pleasant sail with nice, warm weather.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI