Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Big Yellow Fin in the Pass

11 September 2006 | Chagos, Indian Ocean
Chris
We made it to Chagos yesterday midday and had an exciting finale to the passage. We were desperate to catch a fish before getting on anchor as we had no more fresh meat left. I had awakened in the middle of my off watch to get all the lines out right at sunrise which can be a good time for fishing.

After several hours of trolling and now within 10 miles of Chagos we were increasingly hungry for a strike. Our speed was not too great so I decided to try out our improvised downrigger. It is a metal plane that dives the line down 10 to 20 feet deep and is supposed to increase our chances with less aggressive surface feeders like tuna. We have never had a strike on it but in all fairness have only tried it 3 times.

An hour later we had attracted several birds but no fish. Finally I decided to put out a third line on the only trolling rod left not yet deployed. We usually do not use this rod for trolling because it is so light weight that we rarely are able to maneuver the boat quick enough to land a catch. I clipped on a green Yo-Zuri swimming plug and let it out over the line that was on the down rigger. Julie protested that we would spend more time untangling than fishing if we were not careful.

As we neared the pass into the Solomon Islands (one of the atolls in the Chagos group) we started the engine and prepared to drop the sails. As we turned up, we caught a gust and the boat accelerated. All of a sudden the small trolling rod started buzzing and pumping at a furious pace. Instinctively Julie moved forward and eased the genoa and furled it. Then she eased the main sheet as we had to slow the boat down as fast as possible or lose the fish. I jammed the helm over and brought the boat head to wind but our momentum was going to carry us on to the reef, so we tacked.

While headed back towards the direction of the line we were able to take in some line. Soon we had passed over the fish and it took of in the opposite direction. We could not tack this time because we were too close to the reef. Julie released the running back and we crashed jibed back towards the fish. Did I say we were crazy hungry for a fish?

Again we are able to take back some line. I put the boat in reverse to slow down and must have spooked the fish as it sped off again and we were forced to tack and follow. Finally I could see it. It was a big beautiful yellow fin tuna. Julie pulled him along side the boat. I could see a shark circling below so we knew we had to get the tuna onboard quick or possibly lose it to the shark. One quick heave with the gaff and the fish was caught just below the jaw. We hoisted it aboard, the stabbed just behind the pectoral fin to bleed it and soon it was despatched.

We motored into the pass feeling quite triumphant excited after a passage that had been a little trying at times. After cleaning the fish and boat we took fillets to the other boats in the anchorage. It felt really good to share our good fortune as most of the other boats had not been keen anglers but keen consumers of very fresh yellow fin tuna.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI