Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Checking In at Hellville

03 October 2006 | Nosy Be, Madagascar
Chris
We made it to Hellville the main port in Nosy Be yesterday at noon. Oddly enough Eagle Wings, La Familia, and Petrell (three other boats we like to hang out with) were just arriving to Nosy Be as well. They had left Chagos two weeks before us but took a much more leisurely pace down the coast of Madagascar stopping at several anchorages.

We had been warned that petty theft was rampant in Hellville so we stripped the deck of anything which could easily be removed and dogged down and locked all of the ports. La Familia offered us a ride to the wharf in their dinghy which we gladly accepted because our was not setup yet. We had to paddle the dinghy as outboard motors are supposedly prized booty for thieves here and thus it was left aboard below decks. So far none of these precautions has been necessary.

Landing at Hellville is a little overwhelming at first. The wharf is very busy with people, goods, and, supplies being landed from all manner of vessels. The most interesting was the herd of goats which was led off a barge, up the wharf, and off towards town. Also a French film crew was filming a scene amidst the chaos.

We were met on the ramp by several "boat boys" who are eager to guard our dinghy for a price. We had been given names of some of the more trustworthy and fortunately the second boy to speak to us was one of the highly recommended ones. We offered him 2000 Ariary (about $1.00 USD) payable upon our return.

We made our way around to the various offices: police and immigration, customs and quarantine, and the port captain. We had been warned not to bring any original documents as a bribe might be required in order to get them back. None of these precautions seemed necessary either. There was no subjectivity over fees and we were given receipt for everything. When we compared notes with other yachties who had check in weeks before exactly the same fees had been levied.

Although one of our group spoke French it also did not seem necessary. Everyone is very friendly and eager to be of help. Also ATM is a short walk in to town.

After we finished checking in, which took an hour and a half, and checked out the internet cafes and markets, our group headed to a bar called Nandipo for beers and food. It was a lively evening of drinking, billiards, and magic tricks. We eventually closed the place down after many rounds of Three Horse Beer and thorough domination of the pool table by the Norwegian women in the group.

We walked back to the wharf where our boat boy was asleep in the dinghy waiting for us. It was a fun night and one of the better first night ashore we have had in a long time. We are looking forward to exploring more of Madagascar over the next month or so.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI