Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Mainland Africa

12 November 2006 | Richard's Bay, South Africa
Julie
Exactly 100 days after leaving Australia, we have finally arrived on mainland Africa. During that time we sailed more than 6,500 miles and visited four different countries and dozens of islands. Most of the boats we had been sailing with tended to focus on the Pacific as the highlight of their trip, spending season after season between the Pacific and NZ/OZ. We were somewhat disappointed to have only spent one season there, but had no idea that the best was yet to come.

The sailing in the Indian Ocean was incredible. For the most part, it was fast and comfortable, the weather was warm and sunny and the fishing spectacular. We did experience some of the infamous Indian Ocean squalls and fronts, but never found ourselves in more weather than we could handle. Each landfall was remarkable, from the highly industrialized Christmas Island to uninhabited Chagos to the impoverished but thriving Madagascar. Each stop offered something unique and we had some of our best experiences on this leg of the journey. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful, cruisers and locals alike, and we really feel like we got to know each place we stopped.

The most challenging, yet rewarding, part was not having access to...well, anything. Everything we used, ate and drank had to be carried with us from Darwin. There were no stops for burgers and cold drinks and certainly a run to the corner market for milk was out of the question. We had to be extra careful with diesel and cooking propane, knowing the next chance for refill would be S. Africa. For me it made me realize just how far we could make things go, and also how much we could do without. Some of our best experiences were BBQs on a deserted beach with a freshly caught fish and whatever else we could pull together from our stores.

We are arriving to Richard's Bay with about five huge bags of laundry, only a few gallons of diesel and not much more than some cereal, rice and pasta. While it's been a wonderful, unforgettable experience, it will be nice to get back to civilization, give the boat a good cleaning, replenish our stores and do a bit of boat work while waiting for the next weather window to head south to Cape Town for the holidays.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI